How do you carry all of your crap to the stand?

I've heard that, "Would you grab this, the stand is just up the hill a bit", they just don't tell how MANY hills away it is.

Originally Posted By: Matt1953I have Desert Ram carry my stuff!!!!!

And of course it's my pleasure!
grin.gif

I guess I'm a member of the "what ifs" club, but after last night I've got to lighted my load-or get a packmule.although a partner would be nice to.I'll figure it out-just like you guys do.good thread

I'm pretty minimalist, pretty much just sling my rifle, Foxpro and accesories in a shoulder bag, shooting sticks and a ground pad or turkey stool. For packs, the slickest, most comfortable I've found is the Tarahumara from Hill People Gear, their harness makes all day carry a snap. I can't recommend it highly enough, easy to lash to, low profile, perfect for rain gear or an extra layer for long hunts afoot. Ymmv.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/3/ProductID/8/Default.aspx

El Cheapo fanny pack from Academy Sports, with my FOXPRO, remote, MOJO, and a pack of batteries...and of course a trusty firearm! Oh and a lanyard with a couple distress calls, and a couple of howlers!

Last edited:
I use a turkey vest with a built in seat, and backrest. It has lots of pockets for my calls, shooting sticks, extra gloves, and cover scents, windicator, etc... It has a large pocket in back for my FOXPRO, and decoys, and extra seat pad. I keep it light for those long walks to make several stands. I've used backpacks, and fanny packs in years past, but will never use anything, but my turkey vest again. It has much more room for everything than any kind of pack.

Well, found a medium size backpack and loaded it with most of the stuff from my cart.
It weighed 18.5 lbs loaded including a folding chair.
Used a monopod as a walking stick and gun rest then carried the AR via sling..
Went this morning, had good hiking shoes, that helped a lot.
Beautiful morning, was able to go further in, than with the cart, but still no yotes..
159916512.pOF5MEx8.jpg

159916514.GjFqPrzr.jpg

Alice pack. Worked in the Corps. Plenty of cargo space inside, three big outside pockets, map pocket on top holds ammo, compass, cell phone,shooting sticks slide under cinch straps for transport, and bullet proof under normal hunting conditions.

I bought a extra tall white bucket. I think it is a 7 or 8 gallon bucket. then bought a 1/2 seat that you use for ice fishing to sit on. a great set up. your high enough off ground that your knees don't hurt and can carry every thing u need in it. the 1/2 seat cost me 12.00 at fleet farm store. it is padded. what I like about it with 1/2 seat you can reach down in bucket grab a sandwich without standing up. it is a great set up for me. if you need a brown bucket just spray paint it. marty

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page...prod/prd153.htm

I don't carry my rifles in it but my caller, extra speaker, chair, full size coyote decoy and a few times I've taken a shotgun with me on that. I never push it but pull it behind me. For what I use it for it can get though the woods and fields pretty easy, of course I can't just walk straight though some tall grass but work my way around things.

Last edited:
Just got a Eblerstock Lodrag backpack, it has a built in rifle scabbard. Took it out for a hike today loaded to check it out, extremely comfortable, rifle nice and secure, plenty of room for other gear.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I hunt kinda like Stu.. only take what you need, You only need so much. Is the decoy necessary on every stand? What are you carrying that you rarely use?

Gun and shooting sticks I rarely use on stand. I need my seat though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotif a person asks how to carry all the crap they are probably carrying to much crap.

Exactly what I was thinkin'

Gun, Caller, Chair. Nothing more nothing less.

Most fishing tackle is not designed to catch fish as much as it is designed to catch fishermen.

Same goes for most hunting garb.

Rifle, call(s) and whatever fits in my pockets. Take a seat and sticks if you need them, but I rarely do.

5spd is right--keep it light and portable.
1) Hydrate at the vehicle for 1/4th-1/3 of a day of walking a huge loop from the vehicle
2) burlap covered customized soft-sided stadium seat that attaches hands-free around the waist
3) BRF for portability
4) Gun with bipod attached
5) camera strap to carry predators to a fence post for skinning
6) Obviously cargo pants for side pocket small gear storage
7) knife and camera
8) watch cap in case weather comes in
9) knee pads stored around my ankles for crawling if needed
10 Bushnell "doubler" that fits in my side pocket to turn a 10X binocular into a portable 25X spotting scope

Hi Everyone,,,,,,,Does anyone use a low turkey seat with legs??? wow I couldn't go a trip without it. It has a folding back so I have a backrest whereever I sit. this allows me to sit in the grass edge and not too far back. also ultimately important is it allows me to turn directions very easy since the seat material is slick nylon. Now all I have to do to shoot is put my knee up and put my foot on top of the other foot and rest gun on my knee. Sit anywhere,,,turn easily and throw away shooting sticks and bipods. Worth its weight. Good Luck and shoot straight. WT

Turkey foam type cushion tied to my arse, two or three mouth blowns on the lanyard around my neck and a rifle in one hand, shooting sticks in the other. Fast set up times, minimal scent dispersed, stealthy and usually deadly.

Last edited:
Back