Virginia Hunters-Out of season question for Bobcat

boss

If I'm reading the law right, it appears that you can kill bobcat out of season if you are the landowner and don't have to check it in? Would you kill one out of season on your land if it were legal? We have a game cam pic of a decent one stalking a fawn. If I can figure out how to transfer the pics I'll post them. We also have a small quail population, which from what I understand are hard to come by these days.

bobcat

Here's one pic, there was actually 7 minutes difference between the deer feeding and the cat showing up. In the deer pic the deer closest to camera has ears pointed back, wondering if the cat wasn't too far behind. We just pulled cards and had over 500 pics, still trying to find the cat/fawn pic.

I had a heck of a time trying to get the pics up. They were compressed in a zip drive. I'm not that great with computer stuff. On my computer I was able to zoom in on the original pics before uploading them. I could make out the spots on the cat in the night time pic. Last year we had a huge bobcat on cam in this same area. Here's a pic of the one I just got back from the taxidermist(son's room). Haven't hung it yet. mount

Last edited:
Yes a landowner can kill a bobcat anytime. No a landowner does not have
to register it.
You will have to have a CITES tag if you plan to sell it, and some states require a CITES tag before it can be imported, like to a tannery or taxidermist.

It's a bobcat. If it were me, I'd wait until the fur was prime. Personally I would hate to waste that pretty spotted pelt.

If you think they are a problem, take them out. Otherwise, wait til the season. We kill foxes when a landowner calls with a problem, otherwise they get a pass.

I was out there doing some deer pre-season checks 2 weeks ago. Was mowing around one of our small food plots and jumped a pretty big covey of quail. They waited until the mower was almost on top of them, scared the crap out of me for a second. Went to make a pass back where they were and 10 or so baby quail took off on foot, they couldn't have been more than the size of a golf ball. I guess they're making out alright for now even though we're getting more than one cat on camera pretty frequently. This guy showed up on camera again. coyote

Back