maine bear

droopy

i know its not the best caliber for it but its what I have so its what i'm gonna use.my question is do any of you have any suggestions of round for taking a bear over bait at 50-60yds with a savage 110 .223 bolt action. I am thinking a nosler 60gr partition.

Over bait shots are usually 20 yards or so, depends where the stand is set up of course. If you go with an outfitter most would rather not see a 223 used, not that it wouldn't work.

A guy I know shot his largest bear with a 22-250. He went out to sit, not planning to shoot anything and the 'big boy' came in. This individual also guided in the past. He is a big fan of a neck shot at bait pile ranges. One should be able to thread a needle at 20 yards. The bear is usually rather still.

My last bear I tried the base of the neck. The bear went right down, zero movement otherwise. I used a 284 Win, compared to a body shot years prior with a 300WSM. The 30 cal bear went about 50 yards.

With a strong bullet, carefully picked, short range shots the 223 could work fine. I wouldn't try a body shot at 60 yards. Bears like thick cover, 100 yards or more of travel at last light and they can be hard to find/recover.

To add to Muskrat30's point, a good fall bear has lots of fat. That fat can act as a rubber gasket, resealing an entry hole and preventing a blood trail. You'll want a decent sized piece of lead, and preferably enough horsepower for a pass through shot to double your chances at a blood trail. When you have to chase a wounded one into an evergreen stand thick enough to not see you hand at arms length in front of you, and can hear it growling between you and your guide who's less than 10 yards away- you'll understand why.

At best you might get lucky and put the bear down. More likely, you will get an up close and personal lesson on just how pizzed off a bear can get!
thumbdown.gif

Last edited:
Back