IR Defense Mark 2 640 35mm

Originally Posted By: HarperJTOriginally Posted By: SkyPup60Hz is a marketing ploy, all thermal cores run at 30Hz since that is the thermal resistors maximum refresh rate, the IC read out circuit can be programmed to read out at whatever you want it to.

Reading at 30Hz gives you the best image quality, sampling the exact same frame rate twice for the supposed improvement in motion detection degrades the image and give you two frames of the exact same thing minus the microseconds needed to complete the capture.

60Hz may be of some minor benefit if the majority of your night thermal hunting is out the window of a sport car at high speeds at night, otherwise forget about it....

Wow I did know this.

thanks

In addition, as far as LCD vs OLED diplays go, there are lots of differences positive and negative between LCD and OLED displays, however all the genuine FLIRs are LCD and not OLED.

The human eye can only discern about 400 maximum levels of gray and the 2 to the 8th power or 256 levels of gray is what both displays are capable of putting out, so really don't see that as a problem for either of them.

Even if a display is capable of putting out the next step up of 2 to the 16th power of 1024 gray gradients, it would make no difference to the human eye as it is limited to the ability to detect less than half that distinction.

It is kind of like the controversy over 30Hz vs 60Hz., the read out circuit can certainly put out 60Hz but the microbolometer thermoresistor circuit refresh rate is limited to 30Hz, so 60Hz is just reading the same frame twice which results in less image quality at the supposed improvement quality of more motion sensitivity, so it is kinda more a marketing tool than anything actually improving something....I'll stick with 30Hz myself.

People do not realize that the proprietary software that drive these cores is IMPORTANT!

It takes allot of time to create and polish AND IT IS NOT FOR SALE, whatever company purchases a raw core from whatever company producing cores for sale has to DEVELOP THEIR OWN SOFTWARE ALGORITHMS to produce an image beyond the included OEM software drivers that come with it for basic operation. This is a man hour intensive project.

Most often it pays dividends to purchase your thermal unit from the same genuine OEM manufacturer of the cores and the software drivers/algorithims if you have any long term use planned for the instrument besides being a novelty device.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: Shurshotso you obviously think I should stick with the RS64 35mm 1.1 with the digital zoom. don't think I can go wrong with it? lol

No, I do not sell or market or represent anything but my own personal experiences, you are free to get whatever you want in spite of anything I have to say.

I will say one thing though, you stated your contact has already used both of these newly released devices personally.

I tend to believe that is BS as I know for a fact that one of these devices was prototyped released at the Shot Show last week, there were no prototypes delivered to anyone for any evaluation and the very first PO's submitted by dealers to the company were on Monday of this week after folks returned from Shot Show and began to dig themselves out of all the backlogs they got buried under the last two weeks getting ready for Shot Show. Even if he managed to look through both of the new devices, it would have been at Shot Show inside a building, not out in the field under any hunting conditions. I would take his recommendations with a grain of salt and the marketing commissions he gets on his sales...

You could be correct. It's not like I have never been lied to before... lol

I am certain that by now you realize that I have ZERO marketing or sales training, all I know is what I've taught myself so that I can use my gear to the best of its ability!
smile.gif

And my only use for all the gear I possess and use is long term Land Management/Conservation, other peoples goals may differ considerably from mine.

Also, for the record, I did not attend Shot Show this year due to family health concerns, so I have no hands on experience with any IR Hunter products in the field yet, that will change later, my observations here have only been on the relative technical aspects published in their literature and the web.

Generally, there tends to be a paucity of technical information reviews out there beyond someone's empirical experiences, and I will correct that too in the future....

As I said before, I appreciate your willingness to help people out with your experience and knowledge. I have been around in the forums long enough to know that. I know there is a reason you say what you do. That is why I came in here to bounce this off the wall so I could get opinions and knowledge thrown my way. If I didn't, I would have ran out and bought one before I spoke to anyone else about it. I suppose I have to mess with those *%$#8 buttons on top now...
scared.gif

My Dad once told me, "Once you quit learning, it is pretty much over, so learn all you can to stay alive and be productive."

He succumbed to Alzheimers and I watched a successful, proud and once noble man slowly transition into a zombie.

Last cognizant thing he said to me when he realized where he was going was, "You are the big cheese now, don't forget it..." and so another generational change came to pass.

Thanks, it was two years ago he finally passed, a blessing for him being trapped in a mortal body.

"All of life is action and passion; and not to be involved in the actions and passions of your life is to risk not really having lived at all." - Herodotus

Here is a FLIR TAU 2 640 17um core chart comparing the various lenses with FOV and distance recognition:

tau-640-dri.jpg

To compare any BAE 12um core to these lenses, you need to add about 35% to this, ie a 12um core with a 35mm lens becomes a 50mm lens for comparison.

As you can see in the FOV chart above, once you get below about 18* FOV you are entering long range territory past 300 yards and forsaking short range capability under 300 yards or there abouts...

that's good information Skypup. Also another excellent point you brought up today is about maintaining and improving the software/firmware end of things. Flir has a good reputation for that. I just wish they would replace those buttons... lol

Skypup

Now that you are the owner of a MKII 35mm thermal what is your opinion about the FOV of the MKII? Do you think it is acceptable for your hunting settings?

I hunt in Wisconsin consisting of a patch work of farm fields and stands of hard woods. Most shots are less than 200 yards. So I am torn between the 19mm and 35mm MKII?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shaun, I have the MKII-35mm on my .308 for longer range shots out 300 meters.

If the majority of your shots are under 200 meters you should go with the 19mm lens version for greater FOV and will cover the range you are shooting at.

I would not get the 35mm version unless the majority of your shots are all over 200 yards, the 19mm should handle everything under 250.

I called TNVC and consulted - since I have a helmet with gen 3 NV and a good laser, the suggestion for me was to use laser for up close and buy the 35. I appreciate the close range advice, but see SO many pictures of guys blasting up close with 35s. I know computers make it look wider and the screen is not as good as the real image, etc., but I just didn't like what I saw on 19mm videos. (BTW - I have close up and distance areas I can hunt and don't want to spend the money for 2 of them.) Don't have it yet, so obviously can't report yet. The NV for up close seems to make sense for me. The gentleman had military experience and relayed what they did with both technologies.
Skypup and others - love the videos keep them coming!!
ETA is Wednesday!!!

Thanks for the input guys.

If I choose a 19mm device do you think the ir patrol would be a better selection than the MKII 19 because it can double as a scanning device and weapon mounted scope. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

the response I got was unless you really want to use on helmet, go with the IR Hunter. It is more user friendly for a dedicated scope.
Not sure who you plan to buy from, but if TNVC call them and ask for their thermal experts. (yes it took a few calls but I did get through.) Great advice to me...I guess, since I don't have it yet
smile.gif

The Patrol is not quite up to being a stand alone thermal scope due to the single thick reticle and would need an Eotech or Aimpoint to cowitness and it is a PITA to zero as a clip-on. Trying to use a dual use thermal always leads to some compromises.

You'd be better off with the MKII with 19mm lens for what you are doing.

At night, FOV is all that you see, if it is not in your FOV you will not see it, it is the limiting aspect of your night optic. Trying to find something to begin with in the dark is all FOV, you cannot shoot it if you cannot find it....

Talk to the people at TNVC and see if they can set you up for what you are doing.

I recently purchased a IR Hunter mark ii with the 35mm lens. All I can say is wow! I have a FLIR RS64 35mm which has been a solid scope but the resolution on the Mark II is very impressive. It hands down looks way better than the FLIR RS64. Down side is less FOV and the batteries run out in 4-5 hours. The 35mm IR hunter is fine out of an elevated blind at 100+ yards but can't really find anything closer.

I can't see anything out of my FLIR RS64 during the day. Any ideas as to what the problem night be? Have never done any system updates. Resolution seemed a little better when I first got it. Still works very well at night.

I just sniped these two hogs out with headshots in broad daylight from 150 yards with my FLIR RS64-35mm the other day:

Two%20RS%20Hogs2.jpg

Two%20RS%20Hogs.jpg

FLIR RS thermal works absolutely great during the day and is super accurate.

In fact I was lucky I had the RS with me as the hogs were in such thick cover that I could not make them out with my Leopold 8X binos....

Never had a problem with the RS64 at night. Accuracy has always been spot on with the FLIR. I will upgrade my RS64. Not sure if you can do it on a mac

If you want to update the firmware/software on the IR MKII you will have to send it back to the factory.

When updating the FLIR RS, be sure to allow the USB drivers to fully install before proceeding with the update, it takes a couple of minutes to allow the drivers to install.

Once the drivers are installed, you will be able to communicate with your RS scope and read the software/hardware version of your TAU2 core through the communication cable, then and only then should you proceed after you have affirmative communication with the instrument.

Back