Recipient of a Lyman Spartin Single Press Questions

Wallbass45

Last night a friend of mine gave me a Lyman Spartin Single Press and nothing else. He thinks it will do a good job as a trainer for me to learn how to load .223
Covered with dust and some mild rust it should clean up ok.
So what brand dies can I use with this?? All I have loaded in my life was a (1) 9mm FMJ and was coached thru it on a Lee Press

Most dies are set up with the same threads so almost all dies should work. I'm not sure about the case shell holder for the end of the ram. I'd start with RCBS since their often more available on a local supply level. Also their an old enough company that they may have interchangeable parts.

Last edited:
It sshould use standard shell holders and any recently produces, forty years, dies from RCBS, Hornady and Redding et. al.

It is [beeep] for stout and you can make good stuff with it.

Greg

Thanks for the instructions!! Im hoping to make it a dedicated .223 loader.
It don't have the Priming arm on it, I wonder if Lyman would still have the parts ?

Well I cleaned it up and installed a Lee Universal Depriming Die and seated a 4 Lee Shell holder. 1/8 set screw on ram to hold holder.

I noticed the ram had about 10-15 thousand's wobble fully extended. ??????

When I put the case in it seemed to fit kind of loose and the pulled down the arm and had wiggle a little on the case to center and the primer fell out. The next one wasn't so bad as well as the next 3.

I did notice this press has no stop to it (meaning ant the end of pull will cam over then back) Would this cause a problem with other operations like Sizing or Seating or Crimping ??
Or should I be thinking another Press ???

Not familiar w/decapping dies so no comment there.

Most decapping is done in the sizing die at same time case is sized.

Slight wobble in ram won't hurt a thing as case is centered in sizing or seating die and ram will seek center. No stop needed on ram.

Regards,
hm

Back