No Fences No Badges

Wile E Coyotie

You know u r in Saskatchewan - When from Horizon to Horizon - Golden Wheat carpets the landscape -
It harvest time and for most folks around here about 1/3 rd or 1/2 done - in the bin -

- Its a busy time and even the back corners of the most remotest portions of my play ground yielded combine activity yesterday -- I drove extra 1/2 hour to get into prime raw prairie only to bale out of there -with out setting up- cuz too much activity ---close by-- -anyways --ehhm-- Amen to the harvest- Thank you Lord - please b safe with the next couple weeks.

-I did not get set up yesterday till 2;30 -- Temps on Tacoma reads 28C - I am down to light field gear -which is rare-normally a jacket with -- but today only light Sitka Top and Bottom- Oblique - Cushie runner --Face mask- gloves - Rangefinder- TX 500 - Prairie Blaster /w /Mojo critter jammed into the top --Stadium Chair -.220 Swift and 8 rnds of ammo-- Total weight = 22 pounds of gear -( and thats without the winter boots and 4 layers)-- Man -i think - when i get to 1000 coyotes -i am going to whittle off about 6 or 7 lbs of barrel on the swift - lighten things up some -- Its getting tougher to haul my old carcass down into some of these steep scares in the earth - one of these days old wile e himself will b licking me bones clean -is what i keep telling my bride--Till then -the other side of the coin looks pretty good for me -
I ended up back tracking but all of the side roads -- showed coyote chit -most every turn -lotsa coyote Chit -means coyote is near by - so i fade into a large pea field that had been bailed and stash the Tacoma -at the north end in a steep ditch -TonKa style ---in front of me is one of those deep scares in the earth --i am at the end of a peninsula--opening up to a mile wide 300 foot deep river canyon running west to east -
I have never set up right here where i am today but -i am within rifle range of a favorite spot - so the turf and lay of the land is similar - rolling open steep range land- no fences - no badges--\
It takes me a little bit to find my nest and its a lot further than i first guessed but worth it - so i find myself happy with a sweat on -owning about 260 degrees of the compass- whats behind me is straight up-- out in front --straight down-- 200 feet - to the bottom of the coulee- then abruptly back up to my height about 300 yrds out- deep gorge -with sparse buck brush through out --
I start out as always -after all my range points-- with stress bark bark bark -- 3mins -then into pup distress--@ 6 mins --I can hear a dog barking at me --- i cannot pinpoint him - but know he is likely in range -- I let the box play on and keep scanning the total field of play but also - trying to locate the now challenge bark being sent to me - for the next 8 mins he continued to bark at me --- finally with my rangefinder-i was able to spot the culprit --and he was departing -at 287 yrds - I got the big eye on the leopold set at 10 x -and with a big warning woof -i let rip a 55 grain serria when the cross hairs lined up. Catching the young yearling a little right of center on the end of the nose - #972 subadult male white sable sable

Now here in lays the problem-
Steep deep country and you just make an awesome 300 yard shot- all of it down hill- some things are just worth it-

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back