SBR question

docjon2013

Hello everyone,
I am wanting to take the plunge on an sbr for my ar and have a question. How please? I was told today that I can only us that lower with short barrels and I have to give the length of the complete rifle for the paper work? I am just wanting to get the lower done and then later build the upper. I just bought a sig 22lr suppressor today and am getting a trust set up for it and wanted to add the lower to it. I know it is a 200 tax stamp per item. Help please and thank you

Download the Form 1 paperwork, fill it out with the lower receiver SN and info.
Add the lower to the Trust.
Use any upper you want. Once approved, it doesn't matter if you go SBR or Rifle length upper on top as long as the lower is registered.

As for the lengths...you can write down the lengths that you plan to make it...and alter or modify later with other uppers or stocks.

If for example...you put on your paperwork....10" barrel and 28" Overall.
And then you decide later on to only build a 7.5" barrel and avoid 10" all together, all you have to do is notify the ATF of the change.
Or if you build a 10" upper for the SBR, but decide to run a 20" upper for longer range...no problem...as long as you still have the ability to go back to the 10" upper.
That's the beauty of the AR lowers.

Why not buy a pistol lower for the AR and use any short barrel you like? No $200.00 fee, no hassles, no worries. TKG

Sure you can. On the 4th wednesday following a blood moon assuming you have slaughtered a goat with a left handed shovel, totally legal and completely easy to understand just like all ATF laws
laugh.gif

You can apply online using a ATF Form 1 visit ATF ONLINE Its a very easy process which takes about 10 minutes. You will also pay for your $200 tax stamp and upload a copy of your trust as a part of the application process.

As a note most would recommend not putting your receiver, weapons info, suppressors, or serial numbers on the copy of the trust you upload (leave the schedule "A" blank) You assign them to the trust after they are approved by the ATF.

You will need to know the barrel length and overall length to submit the application.

The SBR Forum at AR-15 dot com has lots of info on how to apply and general SBR info SBR Forum

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCalls
As a note most would recommend not putting your receiver, weapons info, suppressors, or serial numbers on the copy of the trust you upload (leave the schedule "A" blank) You assign them to the trust after they are approved by the ATF.

You must have SOMETHING in the Schedule A, it's not a valid trust without it.
It could be anything though, doesn't have to be anything specific. I started with a $1 bill, and now have everything from guns to cars to computers.
Regardless. The Schedule A has to have something or it's not valid.

And, it actually CAN'T have the suppressor SN until it's approved...but since the AR lower is already owned by you...adding it to the Trust is not an issue.

Many NFA Trusts have 2 sections to the Schedule A -(1) PROPERTY where the US Currency can be listed and a second section (2) FIREARMS & NFA ITEMS. "Blank' meant with no weapons listed under Firearms & NFA Items on the uploaded trust when e-filing a form 1.

I'll be as clear as I can be without blowing my top.
"NFA Trusts" are not real.

"Trusts" are real. "Revocable Living Trusts" are real. "Irrevocable Trusts" are real.
"NFA" is a buzz words for lawyers to use when dealing with non-lawyers.
It's the equivalent of a marriage license and a gay marriage license or a Jewish marriage license.
There is NOTHING special about an "NFA Trust" other than the amount you paid, or the lawyer you used.

A lawyer can form a Revocable Living Trust however he wants, as long as it's legal in the state. Dividing a Schedule A into two portions doesn't change anything. The Schedule A must have something for it to be valid.

If you choose not to list your firearm or NFA items on the paperwork you mail, email or fax in...that's fine. That's your choice. As long as your hard copy, that's kept in a safe place...has everything listed the way it should...it won't matter.

What will matter is if you send in a Trust that doesn't have anything in the Schedule A.

Docjon2013,

Many revocable living trusts are created for the sole purpose of identifying the beneficiaries and successors who will take control of your NFA items when you pass or become incapacitated. Most people refer to them as "NFA Trusts". Typically they are named something like the "Smith NFA Trust" or the "Jones NFA Trust" after the "GRANTOR" name, but they can be named whatever you want. You will have to engrave the trust name on the receiver so you may want to consider that when coming up with your trust name.

You don't need a lawyer to to make a trust. There are many samples on the internet, and many inexpensive ones that can be purchased. For example the Silencer Shop sells a one for $129 (called NFA Trust. If you feel more conformable, you can always hire a lawyer to make one.

This year alone, Ive E-filed 2 SBR's and purchased 2 suppressors, and friends have also purchased suppressors. Be warned it's a addicting thing you are about jump into.

Good luck!

You can make yourself a trust with quicken, cost me $20. I've helped several people make one and never had an issue. Some feel more comfortable with a lawyer so they'd rather cough up the extra money for one.

Back