Johnny Stewart

Ralphie

I can find umpteen calls, cassettes and remotes but nothing on Johnny Stewart? Who is Johnny Stewart? Is he the equivalent to Bill Dance of fishing? Predator King?

Say hey crapshoot and Ralphie. Man what a trip down memory lane coming back on this forum. Johnny Stewart was my Father. He is generally recognized by many it the industry as a founding father of electronic predator calling. He was old school starting way back in 1961. He certainly wasn't the first but competed hard and survived in the industry until his death in 1987. Thanks for the inquiry.

That brings back memories. I got to meet and talk to Johnny Stewart at a trappers meeting in Okla. I could have sat and listened to him for hours. He had more calling stories and tricks that he had tried over the years. His home movies as we would call them today were great. Remember all he had was a 8mm or super 8 camera to film with. He had movies showing the use of stuffed toys as decoys, hawks and owls trying to attack the decoys, calling alligators, a moose in his daughters back pocket and too many to remember. He donated a cassette caller that year for the silent auction and I bought it. Still have it today and this might make me get it out and use it. It has been years, but I have never forgot those few hours with him. he was a man I will never forget. Thanks for the memories!

Johnny Stewart was a pioneer in electronic predator calling, The Dillons might not have even been born when he started recording predator sounds. Some of his sounds on cassetts and CDs are still some of the best sounds ever recorded.

My 1st electronic caller was a Johnny Stewart 40 years ago. Was pretty high tech in its day. I still use some of his sounds. I guess he is one of the reasons i am the way i am, lol. Thank you Johnny !!! I still love the sport !

How cool. I hope to have my first rifle soon. All of this is new to me. I have been researching Coyote hunting for several months. What's the odds of a Johnny Stewart DVD, CD or Cassettes on the Do's and Don't of calling and bringing the coyotes in?
PS. Please don't get mad at my who's your Father question. I could find his name and calls all over the predator world. Catalogs, calls, remote callers but nothing truly about your Father Plus the fact I know so little about this stuff. Thanks for replying. Ralphie

killed many gray fox with johnny stewart gray fox pup distress. I remember getting as much $80.00 a hide. no coyotes here then.

I've never met the man, the myth, the legend....Johnny Stewart

But I have met, talked with, hunted with, and dined with GS and his lovely wife. If he's anything like his dad, and I'm betting he is in many ways, then he must have been a heck of a man.

Johnny Stewart game calls is now owned and run by Hunter Specialties. You'd have to ask them as to what is to come in the future.

I still have my JS Cassette player. I used it a couple years ago. It takes 12 D size Batteries to run.
After learning to shoot Coyotes with this thing 40 years ago. It cracks me up when people start wanting to put their callers 100 to 200 yards away. The Cassette player only had a 25 ft cord for the speaker.

I also still have a couple of tapes that have never been played in my safe. I loved the Jack rabbit tape the Cottontail with the rough gravely voice was a good one also and the Baby Cottontails sounded like seagulls to me but man did it call Coyotes in.

Back then you called for ten minutes. You could get three sets in before rewind or flipping the tape.

You guys remember in Sandlot when Smalls asked who Babe Ruth was?

Same thing different sport haha!

Glad to have you here Ralphie hope you learn a lot and share a lot also.

Johnny Stewart and Bill Austin, Johnny Stewart sounds are worth searching over hill and dale for... Bill Austin has some of the most interesting instructional cassettes on coyote behavior and howling tactics..

Hey Ralphie, I hope you will learn to call coyotes close in with a mouth call as well as an electronic caller. There is nothing that compares to having dirt kicked on you by a fleeing coyote that realizes he has made a mistake. The comment by another about our old caller having a 25 foot cord brought a smile to my face because I have often thought of the old days when we did not have remote capabilities like the new units have. To me there is something taken off of the challenge and thrill by shooting at tremendous distances. Some enjoy that challenge greatly and that is OK too. But for me personally hearing the predator walking up before you can see it is a heck of an adrenaline rush. Think of having a coyote run between you and your hunting partner sitting 10 feet away. Imagine a Bobcat bouncing off your back as it pounces on what it probably thought was a bush where the distress sound was coming from.

Hunters Specialties has a DVD in its product line that was the one that I was most proud to be in and was glad it was available to hunters like you who want to learn. It was the poorest selling unit in their array of DVD's most likely because it had only 12 kills in it. I was responsible for promoting they do one similar to their award winning SO YOU WANT TO BE A TURKEY HUNTER DVD that uses several different hunters talking about how they hunt turkeys. We did one for Coyote calling with 5 hunters talking about different styles of calling. Tremendous teaching DVD but poor seller because the market was moving rapidly to whack'em and stack'em videos.

Good luck in your efforts to learn and I hope you are successful with JS sounds like so many others have evidenced on this thread. I have appreciated every comment.

I killed abuch of crows with his crow and hawk fight cassette in the old school boom box stuck under a bush. Good stuff for a boy to get into.

I would prefer to old school coyote hunting. I pulled up Hunters Speciality. Order both Operation Predator 10 & 11? Are these the ones you are discussing? Ralphie

Never forget the pioneers! Those guys are the ones that layed tone foundation for us guys. When good deer tags got tough to get I was sure glad I had predators to keep me busy. I'm also in the camp that enjoys killing them close. Shotguns are fun!!!

Some of my first kills using an electric call were with Johnny Stewart cassettes. I hooked a Sony Walkman cassette player up to a JS Power Pro, and brought 'em in! I've killed a few that were between me and the speaker and were astraddle of the speaker wire when they hit the dirt!
laugh.gif

Back