~TiLL deAth do US pArt~

Thanks for all the kind words but I ain't no poet... Just a simpleton that don't like urban areas anymore...

James, there are still a lot out there... These 2 were shot north of meno... Alfalfa county...

Originally Posted By: hm1996Good to know the waterfowl are on the way down, Jeremy. Haven't seen any signs of them here yet. We have the "maiseros" (whistlers) here year round but not very many other species of ducks and no geese. Fun to watch the whistlers raise their chicks. The migratory waterfowl usually make their debut along with the first "norther".

Would love to set up in front of one of those small trees w/sun to my back (depending on wind direction) this time of year. Water holes are pretty productive down here in summer time but most have a lot more brush around them allowing coyotes to slip in (and sometimes out undetected).

Regards,
hm

Yep... Seasons are changin'... Those are blue wing teal... They come early... Mallards and geese come later... The best tasting fowl for myself is sand hill cranes... Those things are the rib eye of the sky... They are mostly leg, neck and feathers but the breast are good if you fillet them out...

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI thought Saturday would be good. I was locked up with other things early and late though. It was kind of bright and hot middle of the day but I slipped out and banged on steel a bit to do an initial dope check on a new hunting load for the Creedmoor. I was pretty happy, drops matched Shooter exactly, no corrections, no sighters. This is 8" steel at 500 yards. A professional shooter friend of mine would call that "good dope." I ran checks at 300, 400, 500, and 600. All were dead on. Next time I will stretch it on out.

I thought you would have went out... I would never even attempt a coyote at 600 yards... 400 hundred either... Most areas I hunt you would not even see them past a couple hundred... This year is a new challenge,all the rain has ground foliage grown high... Last few years we have been in drought.. I go back to places I called before summer and you would not even see the coyote if it came in...

Very grown up here on many places, but I have a bunch of wide open, short-grass prairie to hunt as well. Some of that you can see forever. Of course what is normally calf-high grass is more like knee-high or better this year. It has got hot and dry now though, and I am waiting for the cattle to beat the pastures down a bit before I really get rolling.

As far as shooting skills go though, I am but a babe in the woods. There are any number of shooters right here on this board, very much more experienced in LR than I. My meager attempts are but the random pokings of a child. But I keep practicing, and keep working on it all the time, trying to improve. I generally feel pretty solid out to 500-600. And I have days I can stretch right on out to 1000. And days that aren't so great.

Back