Burris FFIII - 3MOA or 8MOA dot for calling rifle that has scope...

StumpBuster

Howdy All,

I just ordered a Burris FastFire III with an 8MOA dot. The 8MOA part was an accident as I intended to get a 3MOA FF but put the wrong size in my cart before I checked out. I didn't catch it until the next day.

I'm planning on mounting this as a secondary 45 degree offset sight to the 6X Leupold FXII I have mounted on my calling rifle right now. I usually have an 11-87 across my lap, but sometimes I just have the rifle. If the dogs/cats don't give me an opportunity to switch up without getting busted, I wanted another close range option on the rifle I had in my hands. I anticipate only using this FastFire when the critters get inside 45 yards. I know the 8MOA dot will only cover about 4" at this distance, but I have reservations since everything I can find says "Go Smaller".

So, here's my question to the pro's...

Do you feel the 8MOA too large of a dot for this application and should I return it for the 3MOA model?

Here's the rifle and the circle is where the FFIII will be mounted...

I appreciate any replies and recommendations.

A bit more info in case this might influence your response-

Called critters include Fox, Bobcat, Coyote and hopefully someday a Wolf (or two) and maybe Mt. Lion (obviously not here, but I'm not going to be stuck in the occupied zone forever).

AND...

I may play with this set-up in an occasional 3-Gun match, but I don't compete regularly and the rifle will see MUCH more use in the field than at shooting events.

THANKS AGAIN for the Help!

Stump

Last edited:
Last edited:
3MOA for the Rifle and 8 MOA for the shotgun.I run both the 3 MOA for my 3 gun Open rifle/shotgun.Never been a fan of the 8 MOA just too big. For predator applications you will want the 3 for sure,even in your run and gun situations.
Keep the 8 for your shotgun!

My Weaver Microdot is 4 MOA, and about as big as I would want to go on my AR. Feel it's a little too big for clay pigeons at 30 yards. I do know that shotgunners love it on their turkey guns.

Back