22-250 Fur Friendly???

Nimrod7

Decided to make a quick morning hunt near Boise this weekend. I found a great spot just as the sun was coming up. About 15 minutes into the stand I put down my binos and saw a flash of tan fur about 100 yds in front of me. I put the gun on her and fired two shots. I think I missed the first time (critter jitters). But she was down : ) Her fur actually looked pretty good for August, but she had an exit wound about 3-4 inches in diameter. I'm shooting Hornady Varmit Express 55 grain in 22-250. I hate to change my ammo because it shoots 3/4 in groupings in my Tikka. It entered behind the shoulder and exited out the abodomen on the other side. My theory is that it was because it is a smaller Coyote (about 20-25 lbs). Does that sound right? Is fur damage something I may have to worry about at closer ranges with this round? Should I maybe think about .223 if I am going to sell the furs? I realize I might be opening padora's box here but any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

i use 50gr vmax in my 22-250 and you are going to have pelt damage until they thicken up (imo)

I switched to a two gun situation, where i use a shotgun with hornady dead coyote with BBs inside 50 yrds and use the 22-250 for 100yrds+

3" hole isn't that bad and would be a handful of stiches.

Okay thanks Tbone that helps! Maybe I will try bringing the shotgun. Didn't even think about how the fur thickening up might help with pelt damage.

Couple years ago I shot hornady 40gr vmax never had a ext hole. Then they got hard to find so I went to a .223 with 50gr vmax haven't got any ext holes yet.

I use Sierra 55gr. Sp. bullets and will get a similar exit hole within 75 yds or so. From what I have heard the tikkas shoot 3/4 in groups with most loads.

I use the sierra 55 grain HPBT have killed yotes out to 350 yards drt and some as close as 15 yards with good results on saving fur. If it does exit it will be a quarter sized exit if that. sometimes I have big holes though just depends on the angle shot placement.

I have used .22-250 50 gr winchester Supreme & Remington Premier accutip with good success, but use 55 gr pointed soft points for close or brushy areas. Have had them pencil through at 25 ft.

In my opinion, that's a varmint bullet.

Coyote bullets that have worked for me include the 55 Sierra game king (and 65 also), hornadys 68 gr match bullet, and Speer 50 gr soft points. I really liked the 60 gr partition last year in a friends 22x47 lapua.

My partner is a big hornady fan and I've loaded him some 40 gr vmaxes to test this fall. He has been shooting 50s and 55s for years and we have maybe skinned 3 of his coyotes.... EVER haha.

Originally Posted By: Nimrod7Okay thanks Tbone that helps! Maybe I will try bringing the shotgun. Didn't even think about how the fur thickening up might help with pelt damage.

I guess the fur thickening is a way to tell, but i just intended to say that as they put on the winter weight. Once they bulk up a little blow outs start to stop, imo.

I also found that here on this site there are die hards that no matter what will preach one bullet over another. Shoot what you like and have good results with.

I like the Vmax since i can wait for a broadside most of the time, and then put one behind that last rib and still drop it dead. If you were shooting deer, it would be like aiming for the Diaphram or gut shot. But if you put a vmax there, you don't hit bone and it turns them to jelly inside for a Dead right there shot.
Do that shot with a HP or something like it, and you will be tracking them.

THe other thing i found is that if you have the duel gun setup and they are not inside that shotgun range, but not more than 100, be patient. It's hard to do. but if you do, you are going to be very surpised. If one shows up, usually there is a neighbor that will also show up too. If you don't do anything they will relax and add the realism of the stand. As long as they are not leaving and not in shotgun range, let it play out. You never know, you may get the chance for a true double.

Good luck

Okay it makes sense that they might bulk up for winter Tbone. I do like Hornady ammo b/c I don't reload (yet), and with the limited ammo choices out there now it is the most accurate I've found for my Tikka, and my 110. But perhaps I will experiment with some soft points, or hollow points too. I didn't think of that. And maybe reloading is the way to go with the current shortage. You guys have some great input! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: NampaNewbieman cant wait to get out!!!!
you are killin me!!!!

PM me and we can go sometime. A friend of mine helped me find some good spots in our area, which I will not mention here on the forum
wink.gif

I used the 52 MK but found I was not always KILLING the coyote, I had a lot of run offs. I switched to a 52 gr Burger and the run offs stopped

I shot a lot of coyotes with a 22-250 several years ago. I finally decided that a smaller caliber was the ticket to "fur friendly", because the 22-250 was fur friendly on one coyote but not the next and visa versa. It was a crap shoot.
I'm all the way down to .17 caliber now and it IS indeed fur friendly.

Found some Hornady Spire Points pretty cheap at Cabelas. I think I will try those. See how they work. I have a .17 songdog. Do you have to take a head shot with the HMR?

Originally Posted By: jetmanI used the 52 MK but found I was not always KILLING the coyote, I had a lot of run offs. I switched to a 52 gr Burger and the run offs stopped
Crazy!! I have Even had poorly hit with the matchkings coyotes drop instantly

You will find out that if you angle the shot so it hits the guts you will get a big exit. My thinking on this is when you hit all of the fluid in the guts you get a big hydro static shock wave that tears the crap out of the hide. Try waiting for a shot that won't enter or exit thru the guts. Even a 223 will give blow outs when shot at that angle.

Quote: I have a .17 songdog. Do you have to take a head shot with the HMR? no HMR here, I either carry my .17 Rem. or .17/204.

The 52 grain Speer hp @3500-3600 fps is fur saver. The bc is not great,but the bullet will not exit northern coyote. I use them when shots tend to stay inside 250 yards.

Back