Wolves on my trail cam

Theshedhunter

The ole cam is still doing its job despite getting ripped off a tree by a bear last fall. I put it out a couple weeks ago scouting for upcoming elk season. There is a large mountaintop meadow divided by a funnel or choke,essentially making two large meadows. A well used game trail leads through the funnel, and that is where I set up the camera, approximately 40 ft from the trail. Here is some of the activity that was captured. I will definitely be hunting the wolf here in this spot in upcoming weeks. They are chasing off all the elk and coyotes.

That white one would make an awesome rug.
thumbup.gif

I would forget all about the elk and switch gears to those wolves... Fill my freezer full of wolf meat! They already sell chilli made out of it

Awesome pics! If your an elk hunter that is bad news for you,I went out opening morning for elk archery/wolf (scouting elk for the wife and wolf for me) and there was no elk to be found.But for you always good to get a time stamp on them.If your targeting wolves now, get about 5+ more cams about 1/4 apart and put a few different scents out.(Territory,curiosity,food,mating) and see if you start seeing a pattern.Wolves are here and there when chasing game,but likely the game is inside their territory,however 90% of the time they run the boundaries of their turf.Just like a gang its all about turf.Wolves have massive territories,(denning and winter ranges) BUT they can be patterned.Also get the white one! that is very likely a really old gray ringleader that's bleached out so much that he/she looks almost white.I trapped an old female gray last year that was so dang old she was so blended/bleached out white! I have taken out a few alpha/ringleader wolves and the packs literally disappear into thin air.
Might help your elk grounds.
PM me if you want a few more ideas,good luck and hope you target them.They won't go away until you do!
OW

One of my cooler trail can pics,and yes he is still alive!
zollinger_108.jpg

Awesome! Not really any wolves here but they are expanding there range south so maybe Ill get a chance at one. I had a couple come through a coyote bait last winter. Tooo bad they didnt hit a snare!

Originally Posted By: tripod3Have you got a preferred color in mind?

Given the choice I would shoot a black one, then probably white, then anything else. If I have my bow I will shoot the first one I see inside 50 yards. I've seen one or more black ones in the area, just haven't gotten a picture of one yet.

I plan on targeting elk and wolf simultaneously until I get an elk. Then I will focus on wolf exclusively the rest of the winter.

Nice pic OW. Glad you are able to make a dent in the wolf population over there. I'm getting the hang of it after several years of "learning" (getting skunked). Hopefully this will be my year. The wolves seem to be coming through every couple nights or early mornings just after sunup. When elk season ends I am going to put a climbing stand up in the meadow and can cover the whole area with the .243.

Back