Anybody hunting with gun mounted GoPro?

Predator257Roy

I got the new GoPro Hero 4 Black a couple months ago and thought it would be cool to have it mounted on the gun for hunting. I know it's wide angled and probably won't be great for longer range, but really the only option for a one man show not wanting to pack a whole lot of stuff and just want to concentrate on hunting, not filming.

After my season openers exciting disappointment this weekend, I bought Strikemarks cantilever GoPro mount. http://strikemark.com/products/cantilever-gopro-picatinny-mount

As for the hunt, me and a buddy went to a farm nearby that produced lots of yotes last year, this year started off good again. On the second set, we had coyotes on us within 30 seconds. My buddy saw them coming immediately when I called, they came off a hill 300 yards out. A big oak tree blocked my view and I only saw them when they popped up out of a creek bed 80 yards out. The first ( and only one I was aware of at the time) was running flat out almost right towards us, absolutely booking it! I couldn't get it to stop, it charged forward to my left. Finally my buddy fired off, I thought I saw the yote pile up about 20 yard on my left. Immediately my peripheral vision picked up another coyote, I guess I got tunnel vision on the first. I turn back from the first one on the left to the second one in front of me also about 20 yards out and moving to my right. I spin to my right, get the big AR10 up on a big low branch and squeeze the trigger on the coyote that is 15 yards out and looking right at me. Click......nothing happens, no round chambered! Oops
mad.gif
always good to check that when not having hunted for several months. As patient as he was, he did not stay long enough for me to pull back on the heavy bolt of the Ar10 which was a bit sticky as well and needs a good cleaning and thus took a few seconds to remedy. He headed back the way he came from the creek and ran parallel to the creek, appearing now and again between the trees which lined the creek bed back towards to woods. I never shot (thus I never missed) and my partner was slinging lead down range but never connected.
As for the first dog, we never found it. It went down, but we never saw blood or anything.
We both talked about what happened, what we were each thinking, what we could have done differently, even questioning what we thought had just happened, as it had happened so quickly.
Here in lies the GoPro. It would be cool to video the kill shot and coyotes coming to the call, but in the event of a miss (doesn't happen often, and you can't miss if you don't shoot - lol) but it would give a better account of the event rather than just relying on foggy memories.

I don't like the fish eye view of the gopro so I have a tactacam that I will be hubtin with this season. My brother wears his head mounted gopro so he can review his stands

My GF recently bought me a GOPRO and I have yet to find a way to put it on my gun that fits my needs. I dont have a picc rail as my gun is standard bolt gun. What are others using?

Originally Posted By: batman1262My GF recently bought me a GOPRO and I have yet to find a way to put it on my gun that fits my needs. I dont have a picc rail as my gun is standard bolt gun. What are others using?

I got a GoPro handlebar mount. I needed to use a bushing of sorts to get it to fit tightly on the barrel. I used a piece of foam waterpipe insulation. You can get it at just about any hardware store. You will need to trim it to fit your particular application but it works. I have use mine on every thing from .22 to 45-70 to .300 Win Mag and have had no problems. Hope this helps.

I need something of the sort aswell, I liked the contour cam but I don't think they make them anymore. Go-Pro is a little bulky but the video quality is second to none. Like the OP stated, I don't think any of the fish-eye lens cams will be good past 30 yards or so.

I feel like i've already missed out on some great footage, one being a running shotguned yote at 3 paces. I know once I put a camera on I'll have a huge dry-spell, just the way it goes haha. I'll be checking this thread to see what others use besides go-pro.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiI know once I put a camera on I'll have a huge dry-spell, just the way it goes haha.

Our last outing I carried the camera on every stand but one. Guess which stand was successful....lol

I've been interested in buying a GoPro for motorcycle riding, it never once crossed my mind to use it for calling. I think I know what I'm asking the wife to get me for Christmas!

There has to be something that hooks up to a barrel since I see them on shotguns/rifles on those lame hunting shows all the time.

Tacticam looks good, but I've got the go pro for mountain biking ant other stuff. Tacticam would be good if you were only using it hunting applications.
I'm liking all the crazy stuff back-bone has for the GoPro, very versatile and accesorizable

Check out the ATN Shot Trak. It works pretty well for videoing your own hunts for a $100-120 camera. Mounts to picatinny rail. 5X zoom.

coyote shot at about 200yds zoomed with software at the end. Losing camera light on this one.

This coyote was shot at about 75yds.

Back