Wyoming DIY Cow hunt.

RedOneFive

My bro in law and I both drew cow tags for unit 7 Wyoming this year. Will be hunting South of Graybil. Our first time out after elk. When we went scouting it looks very promising.. Lots of sign everywhere. We will be hunting mid Sept. before the main rifle season.. Talked to the 2 game wardens we saw and also the Rancher who owns the place, and they all gave the advice, morning and night is best. In the morning get into willows along creek and wait to hear them talking and ease on in. Any other advice from some vet elk hunters to a new and clueless( when it comes to elk) hunter? We've got 4 days this first time out, and I have a good pair of boots, and no fear of wearing them out.

I am guessing you mean area 7 and you will be hunting south of GLENROCK and not Graybil. My best advise to you is go all the way south into the back range, and hunt the transition areas between the mountains and where it starts to break out into the high desert to the south. Up by Campbell Creek Campground there is some National Forest ground as well that holds plenty of Elk. Believe it or not, if you are up by Campbell Creek campground you are VERY CLOSE to the legendary Wagonhound Ranch seen on many of the Elk hunting videos and Outdoor Channel Elk hunts. The Primos boys and the Realtree crew hunt the Wagonhound when they come to Wyoming because the Laramie Range has the best genetics in the state of Wyoming. It kicks out quite a few BOONER Bulls every year.

Last edited:
I screwed that up about every way I could haha. Yes I meant Area 7 South of Glenrock. We got permission on 1 ranch about 18 miles straight south Turtle Rock (the Grants). Has lots of good sign. We will be sure to check out where mention on campbell creek.. I'm hoping this mid september hunt, and in the middle of the week we may have better odds on a cow, than after they get hunted too hard. I know it will have been open a while by then, but still dont have all the horn hunters up there yet.. Thanks very much for the advice!

I know Norma Jean and Lester Grant very well. I think their son does the access now. Congrats on obtaining permission on that ranch. Another spot to check, depending on the presence or absence of early snow, is the little Deer Creek trail head. You access that area off the Balsh Road and need to cross Texas Creek to get in there. Its a very good trail head. You will know you are in the right spot if you drive past a big old yellow school bus which is part of a very old logging camp. The trail head itself is all public but the Grant's own much of what is around that area. Matter of fact, that area is the original homestead of Lester's father dating back into the late 1800's. Just to the north of the yellow school bus is a east/west ridge. On top there is a wide area before the ridge drops off the back side. The top of that ridge is a MAJOR travel corridor. The back side of that ridge drops off into a big bowl that we call the h-e-l-l hole. Holds lots of elk but you will work your [beeep] off getting one out of there. Lots of deep dark timber and a better bow hunting area than rifle because there is not much line of sight. Depending on what the weather is like will dictate where you go. It takes very little snow to push those elk out of that back range and into that transition area between the mountains and the Medicine Bow River. That country is so rocky that the elk do not like it in there when it snows. I have seen a few inches push them out until it melts and then they will feed back up into the mountains. Dont be afraid to drive the Balsh Road early in the morning if you are not seeing Elk. I have caught big herds out in that wide open country and once you do, they can be tough to stalk with all those eyes and ears.

Last edited:
Good luck. Get 'em the first two days, or, they are likely to be gone to the 'safe' zone; no trespassing/no hunting properties.

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrGood luck. Get 'em the first two days, or, they are likely to be gone to the 'safe' zone; no trespassing/no hunting properties.

Not where he is hunting. It wont be a problem. His tag is only good for the early rifle season and ONLY on private property. So its the other way around really. What tiny little pressure the elk do get from that early season will actually push them on to the Forest, BLM and School sections. Not many around here hunt that early rifle season since most are archery hunting at that time so very little pressure. Now in October, when the regular rifle season opens up there, its a war zone.

Back