onxmaps hunt app for cell phone

Joe Calton

Has anyone else fallen in love with this app yet? When I received my big game tags from game and fish a bit ago, there was a flyer in each envelope about it. I had seen it before, but since I have their chip for my regular gps, I didn't think I needed the app for my phone also. but then I got to thinking about all the times I was out and about, and saw a nice hunting spot and figured id have to remember to go back with my gps to find out who owned it and never got around to it. So I got the app, which was around $30 per year, and it is really nice! and apparently it updates itself, so I don't have to send my chip in to get it updated.

I don't know how well its going to work without cell coverage, but usually when I know im going to those places, I take my regular gps anyways.

Good to hear.. I have been looking at that same thing for a while, and my reservation is that there are a lot of places that i end up in that don't have cell coverage. An App that doesn't work without cell coverage is worthless to me.

Once you find out if it works without cell coverage i would be very interested to find out how well it does work. I know the site says that it works with a cashe, but how well and easy is that? especially if you are trying to "Cashe" a 1/3 of a state.

i use it, and think it is awesome.

i determine an area that i intend to hunt, download the information and then head out. i do not use cell phone data to get the info while in the field (i am cheap). i do it at home or when on the road, in a mcdonalds parking lot. best dollars i have ever spent on hunting related gear.

it was a lifesaver on my road trip through wyoming. i just leave the phone sitting on my leg and the blm shows up yellow. i know when i have entered or left blm, NO question. i still use my paper maps, but when driving looking for land to hunt it is perfect. while in the field, i can tell which fences are boundaries and which are not.

Not sure but I think it does. I have been running Trimble gps with land owner. I use it so much. For a while I would go to the counties tax assessor page but this is so easy. Public lands overlays are real helpful too. It's defenatly worth $30 for me. I'm waiting for my subscription to expire so I can try onXmaps. I figure this way I will join rmef for $30 and take advantage of the free one year of onXmaps.

Yes it does give land owner names & address. I have used it a couple seasons & worked great. I have not downloaded & used without cell service. I will have to try that. It has opened up so much MORE hunting land for me. The farmers usually own way more property than you realize & at different locations.

I know for a fact when the law shows up & you can prove property lines on the spot it makes a much more enjoyable hunt when you can drive away smiling ! For me personally i love it !

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZGood to hear.. I have been looking at that same thing for a while, and my reservation is that there are a lot of places that i end up in that don't have cell coverage. An App that doesn't work without cell coverage is worthless to me.

Once you find out if it works without cell coverage i would be very interested to find out how well it does work. I know the site says that it works with a cashe, but how well and easy is that? especially if you are trying to "Cashe" a 1/3 of a state.

The app cache's maps if you ask it to. Cache for the area you're going before you go, and you don't need cell coverage.

I bought a new gps (can't remember the model of garmin) just for the chip, loaded the app on my phone and ipad as well. The ipad is... finicky. The gps works just dandy.

I was using the blm maps for years but they're unreliable at best, which is silly. They last updated them a decade ago and lots of public land isn't so public anymore. They even print the disclaimer that they're not responsible for the information you just paid for. Onx appears to update pretty often.

It can't give you contact info but it's easy to tell whose land you're on.

Back