Ohio Roll Call

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrWent out last week. Froze my seeds off. Called 3 in. Missed 1. Had fun but learned I just can't carry everything and shoot by myself hunting at night standing up! Oh well. Felt great to get out and blast on the calls.
I haven't made many calls at all lately Bobby. Too caught up working on Herpie and it's too dang cold in the shop. Turning into a wuss in my old age. Lol. I'll have to do a few before I build any howlers. They are a lot more work for me. A extra bottle of excederine and a jar of apple pie goes into every one!

Well, if you make one give me a shout.

It was cold as heck out when you went out.

Anyone been out? This warm up will make it a muddy mess. Breeding should be wrapped up and the females should be out looking for food. Not a bad time to go to distress. Fawn distress will start being a good one to hit as that time is coming near. I know it might be early now but the coyotes are expecting it so they are ready. With the ground thawing, it will be pushing up mice and voles so don't forget even those little sounds. Plus, with the creeks, rivers and about any bodies of water rising, it will push prey animals to higher ground. Will do the same with the coyotes too. So use that to your advantage. You can also use these water levels as a back stop when calling. If they are trying to circle downwind, they typically aren't going to go swimming just to check the wind.
Just a few tips from a old timer that has been around a little. I have hunted mostly river bottoms for many years so I have a little experience.
Good luck to everyone getting out
Don't forget,
YOUR HUNTING LICENSE HAVE EXPIRED!! Time to renew them! Lol

i am hoping to get out a little this weekend, got the new FoxPro Fusion a couple weeks ago and haven't had the chance to get out and see how it works yet (or should i say if i can figure out how to work it)

Checking in from the Logan/Union county line. I'm new to hunting; interested in coyote only at this point. I've been acquiring gear and went out three times last winter after getting permission on a few local farms. Currently have seen 0 coyotes, but recently learned they pass through my 10 acre property (just moved in the fall) on a regular basis.

If any seasoned hunters are willing to mentor a 30 y/o who is about as new hunting as one can get, I'm interested to learn as much as possible!

TC Venture .223
Nikon 3-9 x 40mm scope
Hornady V-max
Wildfire 2 sound box
Rookie enthusiasm

Welcome aboard! We are scatters around the state a bit. I'm sure there is someone around you that is fairly close that could meet with you and help out. If you have any questions, just ask away. Some here are newbies while some of us have been at it for years. That just means we have made a whole lot more mistakes to learn from. Kinda a slow time on the board for responses this time of the year. Once it draws closer to call it will pick up and you will get more advice.
Good luck buddy!!

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrWelcome aboard! We are scatters around the state a bit. I'm sure there is someone around you that is fairly close that could meet with you and help out. If you have any questions, just ask away. Some here are newbies while some of us have been at it for years. That just means we have made a whole lot more mistakes to learn from. Kinda a slow time on the board for responses this time of the year. Once it draws closer to call it will pick up and you will get more advice.
Good luck buddy!!

Dusty, we need to hit your neighbors property up...... Apparently they are after the chickens.

Last edited:
Havent been out yet, heading out this evening to bow hunt. Killed a coyote with my bow on this farm last year, ill be ready this year if they come back.

Had 2 small males come out into bean field I was deer hunting last night at 95 yds. Lip squeeked them down fence row into about 10 yds at one point. Could never get a shot. Got covered up with deer later on and had to wait until well after dark to get down. Walking out the coyotes must have still be close because the lit up 50 or so yards next to me on way on. Very cool evening.

What's up guys! I'm new to the Ohio coyote scene. Anyone around the Ross county area? I'm looking for someone to come out and show me a thing or two
wink.gif
we own around 400 - 500 acres and I have lights and a foxpro call. Let me know if anyone is around and willing to come out. Shoot me pm thanks

I am in the Columbus area and would like to get together with guys within a hour or so of the central Ohio area and go after some yotes, also need to be shown the ropes, shoot me a message if your interested. Thanks

There are a couple of us from Ross County. I'm right outside of Chillicothe myself. Havent been out yet. Hope to get out more this year. Between working on the car and being sick, I only went out a couple times last year. Shot once and missed just as expected.

Been way too busy to get out yet. I'll be giving YoteNewb007 a call as soon as I get some time. Hopefully between the two of us we can put one on the ground.

Last edited:
Back