Favorite 243 win bullet and powder

What does everyone like in the 243 win cartridge? I have shot the Sierra 85 gr hpbt and IMR-4064 for several years and have had good luck with it, but I was just curious what others liked.

87 grain v-max for yotes and 90 grain NBT for deer, all over varget so I can dial them in no matter what the range.

My axis shoots the Sierra and speer 75grain HP with H414 and 760 powder...like shooting tacks at 400 yards...during deer season,I'll reload some remington core loks.which work awsome on any deer in the woods...Rusty

70 grain nosler BT with 2 g over max load with imr4831 and no signs of pressure. It shoots a three shot group that looks like one hole at a 100 yards. Also a max load of the same power with 90 BTs will cloverleaf all day long

Last edited:
85 grain Sierra HPBT not much luck with IMR 4350. Varget and IMR4064 seem to be working right now with Varget doing a little better. 90 Grain Accu bond shot great but didn't spend a lot of time with them.

I have shot 58 grain VMax, 65 grain Bergers, 70 grain Sierra HP's, and 85 grain Sierra HP's in various 243's with extremely good results, using W760 powder in all of them. My powder charges have all been on the high side with no signs whatsoever of being too hot. I have also tried 90 grain Noslers, 95 Grain Hornday SST's, and 100 grain Remingtons trying to come up with a deer load that shoots as well as the lighter weight bullets, but have had mixed results, using several different powders. If I had to pick one bullet and powder it would be the Sierra 85 grain HPBT and W760 powder. This load has shot good in every 243 I've tried it in.

There are a LOT of 243 shooters that will swear by IMR4064 (and I am one of them). Sierra 85 & 100 grain Pro Hunters are extremely hard to beat in cost, accuracy, and terminal performance.

I used to use IMR 4064 before the Extreme powders came out. Good stuff but I need one load that is stable in all seasons now. If I did not, I would go back to it.

Wow! Looks like about everyone likes something different. I figured most would lean one way or another. It has been really interesting seeing all the different bullets/powders that I would've never thought about.

sierra 80 grain btsp blitz pushed by IMR 4064 and lit by a federal 210 gold medal match.

that combination in my tikka t3 stainless lite will just flat out ruin a coyote's day

I have some imr 4166 to try in it at some time.

Back