Lee Classic Loader, Bullet Accuracy?

huntingsgr8

Recently bought an M91 Finnish Mosin with a near mint barrel, I plan on using it for all of my predator and big game needs until I can afford something else (I'm thinking a 223 or 22-250), I have been able to get 1.5 inch groups with MFS 203gr soft point ammo at 60 yards, with open sights, I plan on scoping it so I think that group will shrink to 1 inch or less, because I have nothing else, that will be my coyote to moose load. I was considering getting into reloading, and making some....more coyote fur friendly loads, but unless I can get 1 MOA or less I won't bother, simply because it will cost me about 19$ per 20 to reload, where as I can get the MFS for 14.99$ a box. Is MOA accuracy possible with this equipment? I know that it is also dependent on bullet selection and powder charge, I have made selection that has given good results, but with expensive presses, and charges measured to the .10 of a grain, I would like to know if it does a good job when it comes to neck sizing, and seating.

Hopefully someone who has used one will chime in. Everything I have read is that they make fine ammo for bolt action rifles but are just really slow. The thing is, is that fine tuning your powder charge will be impossible to the extent that most of us do when working up a load. However that doesn't mean you won't have accurate loads.

Personally I would save up longer for a very basic kit with a press and scale. I started with a Lee hand press and it worked very well, and I still have it.

Curious how you arrive at your cost, does that include buying the brass? If so the costs rapidly diminish after the first loading.

Back when I first started reloading I bought a Lee Loader and a scale. I turned out accurate and effective loads with it but couldn't wait to be able to afford a press and the other gear.

I went to a bench rest competition, this was in about 1964, and saw that many of the bench rest shooters were reloading their match loads on Lee Loaders. I asked why they did that and was told that the Lee Loader put together the best, accurate ammo.

There have been a lot of improvements in everything since then and maybe the Lee Loader is no longer considered the best but I can testify to the fact that they do turn out quality ammo.

You may or may not get the results you desire, [beeep], since there are other factors involved.

Most commercial x54 ammo is downloaded to lower velocities than optimal. Probably for liability with old rifles.

I shot a bunch of S&B ammo and saved the brass cases a long time ago. They only last 2 or 3 reloads before cracking at the base head, even when annealed after every shot. I got 20 pieces of Norma brass and it isn't much better. Perhaps I have excessive head space, or maybe it's just poor brass quality? Dunno.

My scoped Russian 91/30 shoots less than 1" at 100 yards (3 shot groups) with .311" 180gr Sierra SP and IMR 4064. I killed 1 coyote with it and have taken it on deer hunts in the past.

That said, it was a fun project, but a waste of money. On a strict budget, you'd be better off buying an inexpensive package rifle like a Savage Axis or Ruger American.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR

Curious how you arrive at your cost, does that include buying the brass? If so the costs rapidly diminish after the first loading.

That's easy to answer......I'm Canadian, since most of our reloading/hunting gear comes from the states such things have increased in price
1 lb blc2-40$+100 Winchester primers-6.99+ 100 .311 bulllets-42$

Assuming an average of 50gr per shot I get 140 shots per lb. So 42 divided by 140=.3. .3x100=30$
30+42+6.99=78.99.........+ 13% tax= 89.25/100 89.25/100=.8925 .8925x20=17.85$ per 20.

Yeah.....not a great time to be Canadian (especially because we just entered a "technical" recession)

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG

That said, it was a fun project, but a waste of money. On a strict budget, you'd be better off buying an inexpensive package rifle like a Savage Axis or Ruger American.

Considered just that, but I got the Mosin to shoot surplus out of it. I was going to buy reloading equipment (305$ with press, dies, and scale), but then it hit me that only reloading for it would defeat the purpose of buy it. So I spent 282$ on 1000 rounds of surplus (taxed and shipped) instead.

Last edited:
They do a great job neck sizing and seating the bullet. I as well as a lot of people I`ve taught to load use them regularly, when it comes to neck sizing for 7.62x54R it is the only die I know of that is available for a decent price.

Back