What Scope Do You Revolver Guys Like For a S&W 629 Classic?

Riflemann

I have a new S&W 629 Classic with the 6.5" barrel, and am considering putting a scope on this for deer hunting. What scope do you all recommend? I am leaning towards a Leupold or Nikon, but would look at others with good glass. Thanks....

I remember when glass for handguns was virtually nonexistent. Lots have changed in the last 40 years. My first handgun scope was a 2X Leupold that I mounted on a TC Contender. Sold it with the gun. My next was a 4X Redfield RP (Recoil Proof) that I mounted on a M17 S&W and left there for the next 30 years or so.

I think if your gun was my gun that I would mount a 4X EER Leupold on it and be done with it. You can find them on Ebay for low to mid $100 thereabouts. Fine glass and with a lifetime warranty no matter how many times that it changes hands. No need for more power than that for that caliber and will help you to place your shots a bit more accurately.

Nice guns deserve nice glass. Always.

I have a leopold 4x on my 500 and on my 44 a weaver 4x. My 41's have red dot sights on them. Ultradot seems to have a good following over on the cast boolet site and that will be my next dot sight.
Justin

If you look in the firearms section under specialty handguns there is a picture of my 629 classic. I have a 2-6x bushnell that has served me well. It matches the gun very well. I have shot a lot of 240gr full house loads with it and has not let me down.

I have a Bushnell 2-6 on a .223 Contender barrel and a Burris 2-7 on a .30-30 AI barrel. Both have been good scopes and served me well. I'd recommend either. Check out the specs though, FOV and eye relief vary quite a bit.

2x burris or leupold. Tasco pro point red dot with 3mm dot. The red dots are very quick to use on deer and have a good fov. 2x is more than enough on a 44.

Thanks for the options so far guys. I will checkout all the above options in scopes and look through the specialty handguns thread in the firearms section.

The Bushnell 2-6x or Leupold VX3 2-8x are great options. No offense to the Leupold FX, but 4x can be on the high side for functionality for off-hand shooting, just too much zoom. The 2-6x or 2-8x go lower to be more off-hand friendly, then also go higher when you're shooting from the bench.

On the cheap end, I've beat the he11 out of a Simmons 2-6x pistol scope as well, and it has held up just fine. Not nearly the quality as the Bushnell or Leupold, but it's functional.

I have a 4X Leupold on my 8 3/8" 29, has worked very well for me over the years, never a problem with the recoil and a excellent field of view.

Either I go with a fixed 2x Leupold or Burris or one of the top 2x-6,7,8 Variable LER's.
Bushnell, Burris, Leupold.
What kind of distances are you going to be using this at typically?

Back