1-14 twist 22-250 load help

I have a 700 SPS VS that I bought about 4 years ago. It refuses to shoot 50 gr Nosler BT's accurately but will impress with the 52 gr Sierra MK and 38.0 gr of Varget at 3690 fps.

For some reason my lot of Varget needs more powder then what's in a load book so don't just try 38.0 gr without testing. When I tried 36.5 gr of Varget the rifle was in the 3400 fps range.

Just got off the range sighting in with Factory, 3 different loads all were very consistent. Winchester white box 45 gr hollow points, Remington 45 grains and another box of off brand 55 grain. They did have slightly different impact points, but rifle was consistent with each, other than occasional operator error.( how to fix that? hmmn)It will be great to get into reloads. I appreciate everyone's help.

I haven't broken 3700 fps with Varget and the 52 gr Sierra. I'm waiting to try 8208 and cfe 223 for my next loading, but I don't think either will break 3800 fps.

Funny that the actual powder used by Hornady hasn't hit the market yet.

Originally Posted By: DakotaBoy55 grain

55 grain VMAX with 35.5 grains of 8208 XBR produced less than 1/2" group @ 100 yds. 5 shot group.

Start at 35 grains, you may, need to stay there. if you go up,, go slow. I have a 26" barrel so I am getting higher velocity. This powder burns cooler than any I know of. It is good for this HOT weather. 106 here in TX today. Remember ball powders have higher pressures in the hot weather. CFE is a spherical powder.

JOED Varget is slower velocity than 8208 and CFE-223 The CFE gives higher pressure, but it does give the highest velocity, of the three. One thing to remember is that the twist rate on the 22-250 that I have and some others have is the 1-14 twist, so going faster may not give the desired results at longer ranges. So far the 8208 and a few others have been good for me. I have not tried the Superformance either,, both CFE and the Superformance powders, are affected by heat, and higher temperatures.
I don't care if the velocity is high,, if it is not accurate. Also I don't feel like beating my gun up, shooting MAX loads.

Out of all the powders I've ever personally tried in the 22-250 1:14 twist. IMR 4064 for some reason has always been the most accurate powder across the board for the varying brands of bullets.

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Out of all the powders I've ever personally tried in the 22-250 1:14 twist. IMR 4064 for some reason has always been the most accurate powder across the board for the varying brands of bullets.

IMR 4064 was the go to powder for many, many years. Still a good choice, but we now have several powders out there that will give a different choice. Such as more velocity, or the newer, Extreme and Enduron powders.
I have to feel that there is certain powders, for each caliber that I would not want to be without. I am referring to a lineup of some "go to", or what might be referred to as "Flagship powders" for those specific, calibers.
No matter how long they have been around. Sometimes I have seen shooters try and try just about every powder that comes along, searching for the "golden Load" in their rifle or pistol for that matter. And, then eventually they come full circle.

i get great results that are not affected by temp out of Varget and XBR 8208. I have a 12 twist and unlike some, don't care how fast the bullets are going.

I load based on the safe parameters, inspect the cases and don't get near the max loads, I look for the most accurate load i can find and only chrono after i find something that is as accurate as possible. Then I use that to create my range charts and dope sheet.

My 14 twist .22-250, factory SPS varmint with B&C stock, shoots one hole at 100 yard with 36gr Varget and 50 grain v-max. Also shot 50 grain noslers with excellent results.

Just as a reference, not to derail, my gun is Savage predator max 1/ 10/110 22-250/ 1x12 twist/24" barrel. Reg: cfe 223--, 50 gr. v-max/ win. case/ fed. match. prim/ 39.0 gr.cfe223/ .030" off lands, chrono's 3990fps. avg. @ 50F/ 3950fps.avg. @ 20F-very accurate, 1" or less at 300yds./ 1/4" 3 shots @ 100yds.regularly. Ditto for 53-v-max except Lapua cases/ 38.8gr. CFE 223/ 3950fps @ 50F.----/ 3900fps. @ 20F. 38.7 gr.cfe 223 also very accurate, 20fps. slower than velocities listed above for 53v-max.

Back