AR project

Ryan Mowen

I just finished my Ar-15 project last month for yote and fox. I put a 20" yankee hill barrel on it and a carbine fixed stock. The rifle feels so end heavy with it on there if feels little better with the burris scopemount and weaver scope but still end heavy. Was thinking of going to a magpul rifle stock or even the magpul prs but I don't think I need all that in a stock cuz my cheek sits fine now and if I gotta drop that much cash on a stock I will but not if I don't have to. Any suggestions on how to balance it out would be appreciative. Heres a pic of the shooter.

[img:left][/img]

I just got a GTI rifle handguard and a magpul CTR stock for my AR build. The handguard weighs in at 9 ounces. Sounds like your barrel is on the heavy side, which is making it feel top end heavy.

1. Lose the bipod and rail sections.
2. Remove the huge barrel brake. Maybe chop off a few inches of barrel.
3. That Burris mount is one of the heaviest and bulkiest you can possibly buy. Try a lighter weight mount like Aero Precision.
4. Do some pushups and stop crying.
smile.gif

Not an uncommon issue with AR's, of any flavor.

Is that 20" barrel and HBAR profile? IMHO, prefer to build with SOCOM profile of 18 or 20" - expressly for the weight issue. If that is an HBAR, you can have your favorite smith put it on a diet.
smile.gif

Forend - how much does yours weigh? Several out there that accomplish the same job and weigh less.

You may consider putting an angled foregrip or a sling if you are shooting offhand - helps pull the rifle back into your shoulder and offhand provides support.

Originally Posted By: Ryan MowenI just finished my Ar-15 project last month for yote and fox. I put a 20" yankee hill barrel on it and a carbine fixed stock. The rifle feels so end heavy with it on there if feels little better with the burris scopemount and weaver scope but still end heavy. Was thinking of going to a magpul rifle stock or even the magpul prs but I don't think I need all that in a stock cuz my cheek sits fine now and if I gotta drop that much cash on a stock I will but not if I don't have to. Any suggestions on how to balance it out would be appreciative. Heres a pic of the shooter.

You picked the parts to install, right? Did you compare barrels before you bought? Same thing for that brake, it looks massive. Cutting the barrel will impact harmonics and probably therefore accuracy, why not start out with a shorter barrel? With a 16" barrel, and a 55 grn bullet, your effective range on adult size targets is ~300m, possible longer. So for coyote, you're good out to a longer range. Lose that American Sniper barrel, get an M4 profile with a fast twist and leave the rest of the rifle alone.

Originally Posted By: HereticOriginally Posted By: Ryan MowenI just finished my Ar-15 project last month for yote and fox. I put a 20" yankee hill barrel on it and a carbine fixed stock. The rifle feels so end heavy with it on there if feels little better with the burris scopemount and weaver scope but still end heavy. Was thinking of going to a magpul rifle stock or even the magpul prs but I don't think I need all that in a stock cuz my cheek sits fine now and if I gotta drop that much cash on a stock I will but not if I don't have to. Any suggestions on how to balance it out would be appreciative. Heres a pic of the shooter.

You picked the parts to install, right? Did you compare barrels before you bought? Same thing for that brake, it looks massive. Cutting the barrel will impact harmonics and probably therefore accuracy, why not start out with a shorter barrel? With a 16" barrel, and a 55 grn bullet, your effective range on adult size targets is ~300m, possible longer. So for coyote, you're good out to a longer range. Lose that American Sniper barrel, get an M4 profile with a fast twist and leave the rest of the rifle alone.

With the price of barrels, I would have to agree with Heretic. Buy a shorter, thinner profile barrel and sell the "old" one. Somebody out there is looking for that exact barrel right now, and it'll help pay for the new one.

Or..... you could keep this rifle for over watch and long range sniping, and build a new AR lighter for your calling gun..
There you go problem solved! well except for the money issue!

The overall weight isn't the issue. I haven't had an ar in years and wasn't fully sure if the balance out or they are front heavy from factory. The reason I went with a 20 instead of a 16 is because I read or was told somewhere that the 20" is that its the optimal length for function. I also like to play at longer range so a couple extra fps out of a 20 would be nice also. The brake was one my friend had on his gunsmith table that he took off his and I wanted to give it a try to see if it made a dif in rise or if it helped my group. I haven't shot it a lot maybe a box of shells so might take it off idk yet.

Bayside yote no not yet but it is in the works and will prob be in effect next year but I built it for fun and maybe if I go to Maryland i'll use it there but I have to check regs on specs. I don't know how they do things there for ar's.

Originally Posted By: RabonYou've got to be careful when putting an AR together, they tend to gain weight faster than most Women.

HAHA so TRUE!

Just live with it for a while. Then build another upper. You don't need to build an entire rifle. You can never have enough uppers ready to go. One for target/paper, one for yotes, one for just because you can.

Back