PO PO Shouldn’t Prosecute Shoplifters

azmastablasta

Wisconsin College Admin: Police Shouldn’t Prosecute Shoplifters
Blake Neff 2:34 PM 08/21/2015

An administrator at the University of Wisconsin-Madison suggested at a recent roundtable conversation that, in order to combat “overpolicing” in the community, police should no longer respond to shoplifting claims at large stores such as Wal-Mart, and shouldn’t agree to prosecute people caught stealing.

“I just don’t think that they should be prosecuting cases … for people who steal from Wal-Mart. I just don’t think that, right?” said UW-Madison director of community relations Everett Mitchell. “I don’t think [with] Target or all them other places, them big box stores that have insurance, they should be using justification, the fact that people steal from there as justification to start engaging in aggressive police practices, right?”

Everett’s remarks were made Tuesday as part of a UW-Madison panel on the topic of “Best Policing Practices.” Everett argued that community police shouldn’t prioritize enforcing the law, but instead should focus on achieving “safety” as it is defined by a local community, even if that definition includes allowing some stores to be robbed with impunity.

“We have got to a place where we are not longer able to define what safety means for us,” he said. “It is now being redefined over and over again in terms of what they think we want them to defend for us.”

Everett said that police were using high rates of theft at stores as an excuse for excessive policing.

“I go to these meetings and that’s what they throw up there on the table, ‘Look at where all this crime is happening, at the East Towne and the West Towne Mall, and the Wal-Marts and Targets, that’s where crime is happening, that’s why we have to focus so much’ … they do that all the time to justify why they’re going to over police our children.”

Everett admitted that thanks to his comments, “I may never get a job at Wal-Mart.”

Ironically, Everett himself once worked as an assistant district attorney.

Everett’s remarks were noticed by the watchdog group Media Trackers, which uploaded a video of his comments.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/21/wiscon.../#ixzz3jUVBx0Ki

I agree with the nitwit. Don't waste the time and money prosecuting shoplifters. Each store should have a Justice squad of big dudes who just take the shoplifter out back and beat the crap out of them. Then strip them naked and turn them loose. Every time you see a naked person running from a Walmart you can shout shoplifter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitI agree with the nitwit. Don't waste the time and money prosecuting shoplifters. Each store should have a Justice squad of big dudes who just take the shoplifter out back and beat the crap out of them. Then strip them naked and turn them loose. Every time you see a naked person running from a Walmart you can shout shoplifter
smile.gif

Perfect! I vote for this.

Day be makin money so why caint we takes sum stuff. Day wont miss it. Pass the costes on to those fools dat be payin fo day stuffs.

Everyone who watches the video should contact the University of Wisconsin - Madison and demand a free education, since the Administrator thinks theft of goods should be OK, free education should be OK as well.

Why should anyone be surprised by this guy's remarks?

IMHO...which I'm certain doesn't mean a tinker's dam* to the rest of the world...this guy's thinking about not prosecuting shoplifters, is on the same rung of the ladder as not prosecuting illegal aliens for coming into the country illegally.

Both are crimes. Yet, a lot of people think that we should ignore them both.

Sadly, I recently have seen this "it doesn't matter" attitude from a member of my own family.

#1) He firmly believes that there should not be any borders, and that anyone who wants, should be able to come and go from any country that they please.

#2) While having a conversation last week (in which I was admonishing him for complaining about not having any food in his house...yet he had just spent $100 to buy cigarettes, beer & the 20 pc family meal @ KFC...instead of using that money to buy groceries).......he blurted out that just a few days before, he had shoplifted packages of sandwich meats from Wal-Mart. And he didn't see a thing wrong with it because, "They're a huge corporation, and they can afford to lose money".

I then admonished him for breaking the law. He said that he knew he had done wrong, yet he had no remorse about it.

I asked him why he hadn't asked me if I had any food I could spare, instead of committing a crime.
His answer was, "The government turned me down again for food stamps 'cause I don't have a job. So, since Wal-Mart is a huge government backer, I decided to teach them a lesson."

He completely ignored the fact that I was offering to give him food out of my pantry. It went right over his head.

I reported the theft to the police.
However, I was told that since the complaint hadn't come from the store, nothing would probably be done about it.
(This wasn't the first time that the local police department had told me something like that.
I'm starting to wonder how many times a person has to "turn in" someone here, in order for the police to do something.
I'm starting to question which is lazier...the police, or my family member.)

The guy speaks like such an ignorant fool that I couldn't even follow what he says. He used English words, but that's about it. How do these people get into positions of power and authority?

I wonder if this idiot realizes if the shoplifting were to get to bad those store would close their doors. Then nobody can get those products.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThe guy speaks like such an ignorant fool that I couldn't even follow what he says. He used English words, but that's about it. How do these people get into positions of power and authority?

It's called Affirmative Action.

Originally Posted By: chris112I wonder if this idiot realizes if the shoplifting were to get to bad those store would close their doors. Then nobody can get those products.

They don't care. They think they are entitled, and the law doesn't apply to them.

Quote:Sadly, I recently have seen this "it doesn't matter" attitude.

Doncha know, Will, it's known as "trickle down morality".
Whacha spec? "it doesn't matter" = "What difference does it make?"

Computer glitch; lost last paragraph:

This attitude stems from the fact that "our leaders" have coddled "minorities" in an effort to buy their votes (with our tax dollars), especially in recent years. This policy first manifested itself @ 1600 Pa. Ave, with the statement, "If I had a son he'd look just like Trayvon" and DOJ exacerbated the situation when Al Sharpton and his paid henchmen swarmed into Ferguson, then Detroit. They now have the belief that the world owes them a living and, if it feels good do it.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Back