RPG Range Time

I received some targets Ritch shot with a couple of rifles he built with Black Hole barrels via the net last weekend but didn't have time to upload them. They seem to show promise so feel free to join in.

The first is a 17-223 shot with the 25 Berger at 4130. Measured at 0.378 CTC. Range was 100 yards. 24" tube.

The second rifle up on the table was 20 Practical 24"

Upper left was 32 VMAX measuring 0.440. Lower left was a 35 Berger at 0.400. The huge one lower right was the 39 Sierra that pushed it to 0.956. (THESE ARE 200 YARDS)

Last batch for the day was a 264 LBC. No measurements on these but I think they OK.

#1 and #3 are the 95 VMAX. #5 is the 107 Sierra and #6 is the 123 Nosler CC. (THESE ARE 200 YARDS)

I have a few that I'll shoot when it gets below 105 here.

Greg

I knew at some point the stars would align and I'd have all my parts assembled so I thought I'd share the latest RPG godness before range time. BTE came through in the end with some FF tubes and GB's. BHW had four barrels waiting at Ritchs house and I had some uppers stashed back.

Chambering selection was kind of fun on these.I wanted to try an 204 Ruger in the AR. A 22LBC was put in the mix so I could compare it to the 22X6.8 I took last year. A 25X45 was on the plate because it was just a new step up that is a non-wildcat round thanks to Sharps and I wanted to evaluate it myself. The final one was the 30LBC. It is a 6.5 Grendel with a straight neck up to 308.It goes by at least fifteen other names plus or minus a thousandth here and there. A version of it holds the current worlds record for small group shot at 100 yards so I figured it would be worth a spin.

While assembling all the parts I had to spend some time researching the cartridges so I could get some dies that would work. The 204 was a done duck as I have three of them and three sets of dies. Probably one of the easiest to find across the board plus I have 1200 new Winchester cases available for duty.

The 22 LBC could be loaded with my Grendel Reddings with just a bushing change. Not a real challenge as I have been shooting a 20 LBC off and on for three years. This one is a smoker with huge accuracy potential tucked away in short and fat form. I have plenty of AA /Lapua earmarked for the heavy boy. A bull barrel I wanted and a bull barrel I got.

The 25X45 was a bit of a puzzle as guys were cobbling up Reddings that they claimed to work using a 223 but mine would only allow going to 243 and no 257 was possible. I didn't want to go the route of buying from Sharps though the barrels are built by BHW for them. wanted to go out and try another manufacturer that I have dealt with over the years CH4D listed them as a stock item so I played phone tag with Dave out there for ten days and finally got some answers I wanted about it and th 6X6.8 that I had supplied the prints to when the cartridge was developed. I ordered one each of the two and got them in a timely manner of less than two week. There was a delivery address isue or I would have had them in three days. The make superb looking ammunition. My new Winchester brass wil get the cal on this one.

The 30LBC was a different challenge. A Redding Grendel die does not have enough room for a 308 neck and no one realy made anything that was easily available. That being the case I did what I always do and that was to cast my search engine across the Internet. I knew that it had many names and found some suppliers for Reddings that were off the wall in price. I found a fellow that shot it competitively in BR and got him on the phone. I sent him a Redding Type S FL bushing die and he altered it to let me size the bigger 30 caliber necks. Mike Ezell is his name so if you need anything that is cutting edge he is the man with the lathe.Price for the machining and turn round was ONE DAY!!! Wowser!! I have some Lapua set aside for this one an more five miles away so it will get nothing but the best components for the trial.

All of the above took place over the past nine months as things slowly merged together for a project I had in mind. The 204 happened over night as I wanted a 20 Tactical but BHW happened to have a 204 on the shelf and since I had never shot a short one of 20" Carl suggested I try it on for size. The 204 is also unique. It is housed in a BARTZ MACHINE slick side upper and FF tube. The owner Bartt is a fellow I have been chatting with for several months, Their specialty is the 450 Bushmaster but he wanted me to try his stuff. I didn't have a Bushy but I sure had something else so the camo-204 was born. As this is a caliber I love it will be getting plenty of ink.

That's the history now the reality that showed up via the dyslexic ExFed guy.

Those boxes are well known by all here. Between them they have over forty five trips between here and Utah or back. I have to peel the tape off them all the time just to keep the shipping charges down. These were the boxed that my DCM M1 Carbines were shipped in eight years ago. They recycled well. Each box has had over $500.00 in postage attached to it.

Opened up here is what Ritch at RPG did for me. All uppers are squared, all run BTE adjustable gas blocks under the BTE tubes, The BARTZ has a BTE non-adjustable GB under their tube..

Top to bottom are 204 Ruger, 22LBC, 25X45 and 30 LBC. I have my work cut out for me at the bench.This 110+ heat is a killer right now.

Here's the future guys for testing.

I'll post up as the testing goes along and if you have any questions fel free to ask.. Enjoy the missive and use those bibs.

Greg

^^^^ GL you have to many uppers, send 4 my way (along w/dies) to test its not as warm out here so heat wont be a stopping issue.....:)

Originally Posted By: 5spd^^^^ GL you have to many uppers, send 4 my way (along w/dies) to test its not as warm out here so heat wont be a stopping issue.....:)

Please send your address along with a certified check for $3,000 and the uppers will be there shortly... (Oh, you have to supply your own BCG's........
rolleyes.gif

Greg

Back