Uncle Bernie doesnt like guns that can be used to kill people but hunting guns are ok.

If I had my way, we would not have any requirements for BG checks, especially at the federal level.

We do, that's unlikely to change any time soon, so the reality is that we have to deal with it.

The next reality is that this system is in fact subject to abuse to prevent people from being able to buy guns. It is already being used for this, to deny people their rights with no due process, no wrong doing on their part, no finding of guilt or fact by a court.

The VA was told to identify veterans with certain criteria & send their info to the NICS system. Presto! Tons of newly prohibited people who can no longer buy a gun.

Now we have news that the social security administration has been ordered to do the same thing. If allowed to, a presidential dictate will result in some 4.2 million people similarly effected.

This would not be possible with the system that exists due to the brady law.

Originally Posted By: littledawg

If a person is disabled enough that he/she can't balance a check book then wouldn't common sense say that it might not be a good idea to sell them a gun. Regardless of the persons past service record or upstanding nature, people do get old and/or sick and might just be a danger to themselves or others. Open carry is fine in the proper context and I support peoples rights, but walking into a busy shopping mall with an AR-15 strapped across your chest is irresponsible gun ownership at its finest. Just because it is legal, doesn't mean it is responsible, moral, ethical, or wise. Just sayin...

The only difference between Regan and the others is he made people proud to be an American.

With all due respect, NO that isn't common sense.

Just because an individual can't manage their check book does not automatically mean they should be stripped of their god given Constitutional rights, nor does it mean they are a danger or threat to society.

"Common sense" are buzz words the leftists use to try and deceive misinformed people to gain support for their agenda whether it is firearms or abortion. Just because an individual isn't good at math does not mean that person can't handle and carry firearms saefly or discern the differences between right and wrong. Now in soviet russia it might have been common sense to label political dissidents incompetent in order to disarm those who disagreed or who were opposed to communism/fascism.

Most of Washington DC suffers from acute corruption dyslexia. heck, I wouldn't hesitate to say many of the poltiicians running this nation are a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics and megalomaniacs. 19,000,000,000,000 in national debt and growing by the hour, day by day, 24/7/365. Talk about people who are unable to manage the finances... Those same nutjobs are the ones who trying to disarm Americans, but we dont see in the media anyone speaking out against the deliberate bankrupting of the USA do we... A whole lot of propaganda aimed at fireams, gun owners, and the 2nd Amendment though. In the USA approximately 40,000 people die anually in car accidents, where is the outrage?

Last edited:
Ya, and they ain't talking about taking away drivers lic for the elderly that can't handle their finances, yet they kill significantly more people every year with their inability to operate a vehicle safely then they shoot, but there would be outrage if they started taking drivers lic vs. guns.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishdirty little secret about the brady law:

They made it a felony with a mandatory sentence for a prohibited person to even attempt to buy a gun.

They also never had any intention of actually prosecuting people who did so.

Back in the 90's LaPierre was on TV with sarah brady and confronted her about this. We had had enough time that they had numbers of how many denials had been made & were bragging about that, that so many prohibited people had been prevented from getting guns. Wayne said that we aren't charging & prosecuting those people, do you think that they were really prevented from getting a gun? that simply turning them away from the counter meant that they wouldn't go somewhere else & get one?

And she replied that yes, that was how she saw it. No need to enforce the law, just prevent the retail sale & all is good.

When people are being added to the NICS database without due process of
the law, those who go out and attempt to buy a firearm unknowingly perjur themselves by filling out a 4473 form and wham instant felon. with no due process of the law prior to being added to the NICS database.

A little of topic but in a free country there needs to be a 2nd Amendment restoration act. It needs to be easier for those convicted of non violent felonies and misjudgements in mental hygiene to get their fundamental right back and out of the NICS database as well as for those who fall prey to fraudulent restraining orders which is another farse designed to take away rights. There is very little to no due process for defendants in restraing orders and many times restraing orders are used as a weapon by lawyers against a spouse during divorce and child custody cases. not saying there is no place for restarining orders but only in cases where a the plaintiff can show alteast some evidence that they are in danger.

Or better yet, repeal the bad laws.

On the bright side of the current BG checks I have seen it work.
I was in a LGS waiting to do my paper work while the Salesman was running another's BG on the phone.
There was two Asian men that could not speak a word of English and were trying to buy two AKs.
After about twenty minutes on the phone the Salesman told them that they had been "DECLINED"
thumbup.gif

They didn't understand what he was saying at first and thought it was OK and was holding out what looked like a Government charge card to pay.
He finally got them to understand NO SALE, then as they were heading for the door they started knocking stuff over on their way out.
I just wonder how many more are trying to buy guns?

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45On the bright side of the current BG checks I have seen it work.
I was in a LGS waiting to do my paper work while the Salesman was running another's BG on the phone.
There was two Asian men that could not speak a word of English and were trying to buy two AKs.
After about twenty minutes on the phone the Salesman told them that they had been "DECLINED"
thumbup.gif

They didn't understand what he was saying at first and thought it was OK and was holding out what looked like a Government charge card to pay.
He finally got them to understand NO SALE, then as they were heading for the door they started knocking stuff over on their way out.
I just wonder how many more are trying to buy guns?

Sounds like it might have worked. perhaps it could have been the selective enforcement of immigration laws to boot.

My problem with that is this:

Should those 2 have been allowed to walk away? If they're really prohibited people, why? There's nothing to stop them from getting guns somewhere else & doing what ever they have in mind.

As a law abiding citizen in this once free country, I have to go hat in hand & beg permission from a govt agency to buy a gun, something that is a specifically enumerated, protected right. Criminals don't have to bother with that & if they do bother trying, once we identify them we don't do anything about it.

So, what's the point of it all?

It's amazing that people like little dawg want to decide who gets to protect themselves with their common sense. Most things he says aren't common, and nothing makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishMy problem with that is this:

So, what's the point of it all?

Not sure anymore. I mean the one group that is supposed to watch over the government and be accountable to their constituants held hearings not that long ago.. They blustered and railed about how they only followed up on a very small percentage of those trying that are declined. For all the caterwalling and belly acking.. Nothing actually happened.

Same thing wiht the VA, Fast and furious, the EPA, IRS and so on.. They cry and whine, but who's feet are they actually holding to the fire.. The Government agents are doing as they want because they know that at the end of the day, it's all just a show and they are going to keep doing what they are doing and nothing is gonna happen to them. No one is going to jail, no one is being fired, and not one agency that is blowing off congress is getting their funding cut and sent home without pay.

Back