necessity for accu wedge

old cat

are accu wedge or x shims necessary for the slight movement between uppers & lowers on rra ar 15. does it improve accuracy.

The accuwedge does help to remove a bit of upper to lower play. I have never noticed any difference in accuracy though.

My buddy uses a foam earplug under the rear takedown pin to take up the play on his rifle.

A slight movement is no big deal. They do not make any improvement in accuracy. They are more a piece of mind deal for most shooters. A p[psychological placebo IMHO.

Greg

No change in accuracy, like Greg mentioned, just a bit of mental security blanket. I wouldn't own AR's that were loosely fit, but I do spend the $3 to put in wedges to keep them tighter.

thanks guys, this rifle shots 1/4 to 3/8 inch groups at 100 yards with 6x scope, so it is plenty accurate. I would say the wiggle is minimal for two pieces of metal put together with 2 pins. just different for a bolt gun man, no wiggle there.

If you want one ? i'll send you one. may need a little trim, mine have. tight fit though.PM me you're address.

Regards, Jerry Waddell

Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailI use them just/only because I don't like the wiggle. I haven't noticed an improvement in accuracy.

Yup. They shouldn't have a real difference in accuracy. They will take out the extra "slop" some receiver sets have.

I put one in my colt when I bought it back in 1995. I'm still using the same one. As noted, all it does is shore up any looseness between the receivers & so far as I can tell nothing regarding accuracy.

I've used the foam plugs, my Colt Hbar match came with a wedge, it makes no difference in accuracy. I had to convince myself of this, the hard way...

A few years back, I was convinced my 243 was stringing vertically, not really stringing but showing 2 separate groups sort of. I found on the web somewhere that bedding the upper to the lower would tighten up groups. So I went to the trouble of bedding that upper to one of my lowers, and I picked the one that is marked 300 saum, it is a complete dpms rifle, kind of rare. Well all that did was create a lower that no other upper would mate up to, so I had to spend all kinds of time carefully sanding the thin layer of JB weld off the mating surface of that lower. Hard to say how much I devalued that rare lower/rifle. Oh and you guessed it, groups didn't change at all. Turns out that upper had a scope problem that was causing the issue.

All they do is take the wiggle out between the upper and lower, the scope is on the reciever, and the barrel is on the reciever. Stringing shots might be caused by hand placement, esp with non FF barrels.

Back