Another 6x68 is born..

Bob_Atl

Assembled my new 6x68 today. 8 lbs 7 oz empty with scope.
Looking forward to shooting it ASAP.

RPG/BHW 20" 1:10 LT/R (2 lbs 10oz)
Hogue Free Float Tube
Daniel Defense 6.8 spc bolt
PSA NiBo carrier
BTE match trigger
PSA upper
Anderson lower
Larue pistol grip
Burris 2x7 scope
Magpul SL OD stock

Looks like this, not meant to be pretty, and it isn't !

161025436.rS7uIOm3.jpg

After you see how it shoots you will want to build one on a bolt action.
I have built both.
55-95g bullets to 700 = no problem.............:)
H335, x8208, varmint pro, w748 are about tops.

I had a 6mm LBC and it would just shy of 2800 fps with 87 grain VLD's and was stupid accurate. I should have kept it but needed money. Is this really any faster or about equal?

The load my son killed his pronghorn with was a 90 grain Berger running right at 3100 FPS. That was shot from a 6X6.8 with a 22" barrel. I don't know if this is the faster of the two but I shoot my 243 LBC with a 95 grain Sierra Match King at 2980 FPS.

In my opinion they both have their place. The 6X6.8 is the perfect platform for the 87 grain bullets and lighter. The 243 LBC really shines with the bullets 95 grains and up.

I agree, I built the 6LBC with a tighter twist at only 20" and it was more of a accuracy load then speed. The main reason I did the LBC was cause I have a lot more grendel brass laying around than I did SPC. It worked really well, I think this time I would go to a longer barrel [beeep].

1st range trip of my 6x68 went well today, was checking gas system and new (to me) 6x68 handloads in HDY brass:
HDY VMAX 75 gr, 8208 XBR, 28.5 gr, 2.245 COL, BR-4 ==> 3058 fps ave, 20 sd
HDY VMAX 58 gr, 8208 XBR, 31.0'C gr, 2.240 COL, BR-4 => 3415 fps ave, 14.7 sd

100% function on all 10 shots.
Most of the fired brass had small dents on the lip edge, these came out on 1st pass of FL sizer die.
About a third of the heads had ejector pin scrapes, will need to polish that pin.
Primers looked great, like they want more powder !!

Will step up the VMAX 75 gr load next and then look for accuracy.

Thanks for the help Greg & Ritch..

Keep us updated please. Those 2 bullets are going to be my choice I believe right now. What magazines are you using? I might play a little longer coal when I test more when my order gets here. You really put the quality where it matters on your build in my mind. The trigger and handguard and bolt, and barrel obviously. I like it. That's screaming with a 20" barrel. All around nice!

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury... What magazines are you using? I might play a little longer coal..
Thanks. Mags are ASC 6.8.
For COL on VMAX 75 gr, I will try 2.255, but it hits the lands at 2.266.
For COL on VMAX 58 gr, COL will stay put.
First live round chambered stuck in the lands on ejection,, had powder all over, lesson learned!
I had 10 loaded for function test, and they needed to be pushed back to stay off the lands.
Not complaining since FPS met expectations.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury... What magazines are you using? I might play a little longer coal..
Thanks. Mags are ASC 6.8.
For COL on VMAX 75 gr, I will try 2.255, but it hits the lands at 2.266.
For COL on VMAX 58 gr, COL will stay put.
First live round chambered stuck in the lands on ejection,, had powder all over, lesson learned!
I had 10 loaded for function test, and they needed to be pushed back to stay off the lands.
Not complaining since FPS met expectations.

There is a reason for that hitting so fast. The cartridge was designed around the premise of a coyote round and light deer usage. Throats are kept short so you don't have to exceed magazine length on common usage bullets.

Greg

Originally Posted By: steve garrettlet us know what kind of groups you are seeing.
WILCO, now need to load up some ladder stuff in 75 gr and 87 gr.
Probably take them to the range this weekend, weather permitting..

I got my barrel here in a 8 twist hoping to shoot the heavier bullets sometimes. I wasn't aware that they can't utilize the 2.3" 6.8spc magazines. I'm mostly going to use the under 90 grainers, but it'd be nice to seat them to mag length and offer up more case capacity if needed. If only to experiment. This barrel is 22" so with the 58vmax I should be up near 3500 if it stays accurate. That ought to do a number no matter how you slice it. And 75's at near 3200 isn't to shabby.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyI got my barrel here in a 8 twist hoping to shoot the heavier bullets sometimes. I wasn't aware that they can't utilize the 2.3" 6.8spc magazines. I'm mostly going to use the under 90 grainers, but it'd be nice to seat them to mag length and offer up more case capacity if needed. If only to experiment. This barrel is 22" so with the 58vmax I should be up near 3500 if it stays accurate. That ought to do a number no matter how you slice it. And 75's at near 3200 isn't to shabby.

A I stated above this was designed for LIGHT BULLETS. If you want heavy go with a 243 LBC. You have to put your ideas on the shelf from the old school when you work with custom chambers. They aren't your Remington 700 with enough room for a Siamese cat in front of the bullet in the chamber.

Reaching the lands on any AR15 is rare. You pay your money for a good barrel and chamber designed and proofed out with over 2,000 rounds going into development.

Fell free to ask the designer Ritch if you have concerns or alternatively PT&G will gladly take your money.

Greg

Yea it never really crossed my mind about reaching the lands on an ar15. Seems like they are always long. But I'm not worried. I shoot for accuracy anyway. I'm just taking in more info on this caliber to put into my own use. I planned on this being a varmint setup with an occasional deer round sent thru it.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyYea it never really crossed my mind about reaching the lands on an ar15. Seems like they are always long. But I'm not worried. I shoot for accuracy anyway. I'm just taking in more info on this caliber to put into my own use. I planned on this being a varmint setup with an occasional deer round sent thru it.

When Ritch did the initial chamber design and we bounced it off each other it was educational. I have more run and gun experience with AR;s and he is a bolt action wonder. His predator experience manged to push the envelop in specs and I came along and started shooting it at 500 yards. Now I've moved on to doing 1000 with an LBC but I swapped to a turn bolt though my AR's will do it too if I wanted to fight the system..LOL

I know that with Ritch at the helm and me kicking in a bit reaching the lands is huge deal for the shooter. I finally have guns that I can use for multiple purposes and don't have to jump a shark just to get it in the rifling.

I have four 6X6.8's and love every one of them. Seeing someone else get into them makes me smile a bunch. I've had the vicarious thrill of talking with Ritch while he put the 6X6.8 package together for Bob and got 'er boxed up. In fact because of a different 6X6.8 build and HIS barrel three of mine were side tracked!! LOL Enjoy.

Greg

Back