Realoading inv the garage.

zr600

Ok the only place i have is my grage for reloading how many of you guys do that? Also can i store my supplies as in powder amd primmers out there or is that a bad idea? The reason starting to question it is i was trying to make up some loads and i have the scheels outfitters 1500 dispensor and it has been very warm, but the dispensor has been very inaccurate. Could this be due to the heat? I tried recalibrating it and that hasnt worked. Its been off by .5 to 1 full grain. Any help would be great. I was thinking maybe the heat was messing with it. If so i might just store the dispencor and the powder in the house and bring it out to use it then put it away. Whats everyones thoughts with this expereince.

Right or wrong...I keep my powder and primers in my safe, (garage) and use either a small heater or AC depending on the weather. I do all my loading in the garage. Never had any problems. However, I don't use anything electronic for loading.

Originally Posted By: old catflorescent lights or any electric motors running?

This. And also I have a scale that drifts when my iphone is near it. I try to set up as far from any EMF activity as possible.

Never thought of the phone or lights i read about air currents in the instructions so i thought it could have been that but turned off my fan and it didnt help. Ill have to keep my phone away from it, and go from there. It worked just fine in 80-85 temps but 95 plus it doesnt seem to work. The scale seems to be accurate in these conditions just the dispensor doesnt dispense right. I can manually do it accuratly but not the auto feature.

Last edited:
Hey we all got to do different things sometimes, and reload in not always the most ideal place.
Things that hurt
1 primers: High Humidity is worst, and age
2. powder: Heat is the worst thing for Ball ( spherical) powder
3 electronic scales: Freezing the worst thing, next wind and then electronic devices and florescent lights, and High heat.

That "guest bedroom?" Yeah. It's my office/reloading room cave now, and the in-laws don't visit so often anymore. Win win.

ZR600, I don't load in my garage, but with this heat we just had last week, I would think that would mess with your dispenser. I use an extra bedroom in the basement for my reloading, 2 long florescent lights above my 2 benches with NO problems. How does your dispenser work with these cooler temps we have right now?

Yeah i know that i need to recalibrate it first and see if that helps if not i will take it back. Its only a couple months old. Also that warranty is what made my mind up on a dispensor.

Your supposed to calibrate it everytime you turn it on. And be sure to let it run its 10 min warmup prior to calibrating or using it.

One thing i notice with mine is my electronic caliper will make it act goofy sometimes if its turned on and too close to dispenser.

Do you have the black pastic powder reducer installed? Do you have the unit set for the type of powder you are dispensing?

I dont know were my black powder reducer is i guess i dont remeber seeing it, and its not in. I didnt know about cal everytime. I do know to let it do its warm up and have been waiting i just go out and turn it on and clean or trim brass till its ready.

Originally Posted By: zr600I dont know were my black powder reducer is i guess i dont remeber seeing it, and its not in. I didnt know about cal everytime. I do know to let it do its warm up and have been waiting i just go out and turn it on and clean or trim brass till its ready.

You will want the reducer in for sure as well as calibrate once warmup is complete. If you dont have a reducer I would think scheels could get you one.

Also, the unit can be recalibrated to dispense faster or slower and to change the point in which it switches from fast to trickle. I believe it covers how to do it in the manual. Otherwise, avery weigh tronix is the actual manufacturer and a call to them might provide some insight. However since it is produced by them for scheels, they may not offer any support for it. Beyond that salter brecknell used to sell the same dispenser under their name so maybe they could provide some technical support on programming.

apd100 dispenser

Originally Posted By: zr600Yeah i know that i need to recalibrate it first and see if that helps if not i will take it back. Its only a couple months old. Also that warranty is what made my mind up on a dispensor. if you move it in the house then take back in the garage to reload it won't work they have to stay in the same enviorment and you garage might have too wide of changes temp.humidity etc.you could just get a balance beam one and keep the powder inside until use

I have my stuff in the garage, but that isn't by choice and I am in a rental until next spring ( I don't move during hunting season, it seems like a waste of time during the precious days when i can hunt)
Anyways, I keep the primers, powder, and bullets in military ammo cans with moisture wicking packets, and some cardboard at the bottom of the cans..
I labeled the ammo can's and then welded on hasps so that i can lock them to keep the kids out. I was a kid and know the temptation of playing with gun powder. Since i have more than 20#s of it, figured i had better put it in something that will keep it out of their hands. But, that is also why it's in the garage (kids) and not in the house (new wife). I don't load in the summer.(for obvious reasons, if not look where i live) I do my loading and wood working when it's cooler out.

FWIW, I am just starting to reload. My dad had some powder and primers "stored" in a non climate controlled machine shed for over 30 years. The IMR 4350 was in metal cans, never opened, and the federal primers looked good as new. The powder smells fresh and looks good.

I loaded a few and they all shot fine. I might ditch the primers as there aren't very many, but I am going to use the powder for sure.

I am lucky enough that the house I bought has a little room built inside the garage, and that is where I am setting up. Only problem is the window AC unit creates a lot of draft when weighing charges so I don't weigh when it's running. I'm thinking of hanging something in front of it to block direct the air away from the bench.

I reloading in my regular garages for over 30 years and kept everything out there in 4 different states I lived in. Never had a powder/primmer issue either.

Back