6x45 build with AR-Stoner Barrel

tim ellison

Any one here have any experience with 6x45 AR-Stoner Barrel? I have kicked this around for some time and am about ready to take the plunge, but want to spend as little as possible but also expect it to shoot well. Midway has 18" stainless AR-Stoner Barrel heavy barrel with 1 in 8 twist for $205 after using a coupon. Reviews on Midway seem to be pretty good on these. Any better deals out there? Nothing against a nice used one, but no luck finding one after a lot of looking.

Hard to say. The Midway line of AR-Stoner barrels are built by the lowest bidder. No consistent manufacturer at all. The Grendel blow up/rescue was a classic one. Guys have good luck with some and others kind of mediocre.

I get nervous when I don't know who made the barrel. I don't like names hing on products as a sales tool. You remember Sears-Roebuck used to sell Ted Williams stuff? I think his name was on everything but sports bras but they didn't exist then.

I bet if you talk with Ritch he can get you in a premium one that you know wil shoot for only a bit more.

Greg

I dont have any experience with AR Stoner barrels, but i do have a black hole 6x45 and it is the most accurate gun i own. you would not be dissapointed. If accuracy is a must I would recommend getting a quality barrel by a known manufacturer, and trying to save on cost on different parts of your build. which ever way you decide to go let us know how it shoots!

Originally Posted By: tim ellison...Midway has 18" stainless AR-Stoner Barrel heavy barrel ....
I almost went that route, but didn't like the odd muzzle threads, and already had one really good BHW 243 barrel.
So I went with the 6x6.8 BHW via RPG, should have it tomorrow..
I like the ballistics of 6x6.8 over 6x45.
Someone else said it better, something like; "if you gonna go to the trouble of an AR wildcat, give yourself more umph than a 223."

PSA Factoid:

The 6X45 is no longer a wildcat. It was SAAMI'd on 6-18-11. The day AFTER SAAMI for the 300 AAC BLK, the 6.5 Grendel and the 25X45 Sharps.

Greg

Thanks for all the input. I had thought about 6.8 and others, but decided to stick with 223 case because of the availability/price of brass, magazine, bolt, etc. Also very ship to just switch out upper's to a short barreled (16 1/2") 223 for my "home defense" gun when not hunting. Would really like to go with the BHW, but trying to build a Cadillac on a VW budget right now...

Some things are worth waiting for...the BHW barrel would be a much better option for you, IME. I've tried some Stoner brand bbl's and did not have the luck I wanted.

What is wrong with both? Everyone needs at least 1 of everything. Or 2.
smile.gif

The way i priced it out is as follow. 6x45 stoner barrel from midway is $225 plus shipping but i did not look and see if that was with the bcg. And a bhw barrel from rp is another $35.00 more but did not see if that had the bcg. So if you can't swing the extra 35 then wait another couple of weeks before you order your stuff from rp. Now if you were talking a $100 or more dollars then I might go with midway. But you will be much happier from one from rp

6x45 is a excellant choice, same mags, same bolt, outstanding accuracy, super cheap brass. I don't know about you guys, but I get really upset when I'm hunting and lose a piece or two of high dollar 6.8 or 6.5G brass. 5.56 milsurp doesn't bother me nearly as much. This is what my BHW 16" 6x45 M4gery with a Weaver 1-3x scope shot like at a 100 yards.
6x453.jpg

Thanks for all the input, decided to go with a like new BHW barrel(20" sporter, black finish, 1 in 8 twist, in 6x45 that I got a great deal on with 150 rounds fired plus the fired brass. It is a proven 1/4"( and under) shooter already, a set of dies and I should be set!

I know, I am really pumped! Been looking for some time to get this project going and happened across exactly what I was looking for this weekend, I think that I should buy a lottery ticket as well!!!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettwhy on earth go with a 6x45 when you are reloading anyways why not go 6x6.8

Brass is so much cheaper than 6.8. Id love to go 6x6.8 but I opted for the 18" BHW 6x45 for $$$$ reasons.

Originally Posted By: MPFD6x45 is a excellant choice, same mags, same bolt, outstanding accuracy, super cheap brass. I don't know about you guys, but I get really upset when I'm hunting and lose a piece or two of high dollar 6.8 or 6.5G brass. 5.56 milsurp doesn't bother me nearly as much. This is what my BHW 16" 6x45 M4gery with a Weaver 1-3x scope shot like at a 100 yards.
6x453.jpg

What bullet and powder combo where you using for your 6x45? Im looking for some reload data for my 18" BHW 6x45.

Sounds like you made a good purchase, as far as the stoner barrel goes, a co worker has two of that barrel and both shoot excellent between 1/2 and 3/4" for 5 shots. These were bought about 3 years ago so at that point the 6x45 were good.

Back