Navy Vet, need advice on predator build.

Vance

I have no experience with AR's at all other than I did handle one at a gun store once. When I was in the service I used an M14 some, but in my line of work did not get to use it much. I want to jump into this game, but I don't just want a standard run of the mill .223 either. I have been doing a lot of research and it is kind of over whelming with all the variations out there. It makes this hard to decide which way to go.

I want to go with a flat top, optics ready platform, with a 20" barrel and I'm thinking 6x45 caliber. I don't currently own anything in .223/5.56 and would like to have that covered since it seems that everyone has these and I feel left out :) I own a bolt action .204 Ruger and feel like the .223 is just too similar and would like something different. I do reload and like the fact that this is a simple resize of readily available brass to make this happen.

My question : should I just get a standard .223/5.56 entry level gun and then build on that to get what I really want ?

Or should I build from the ground up what I really want, then get a .223 upper later on ?

Right now I have $700 saved up and I'm trying to sell a semi auto .17 HMR to help fund this project. Also, being new to the AR platform, I kind of want to build one so I understand all the workings of these.

What would you all suggest here?

Well.. given that, and that you want a 223.

I would suggest that you look at the Del-tron. They have a complete AR-15 in 5.56 (get this version) with m4 feed ramps, and use that as your starter. I have seen some cases where they are selling it for under $600 complete.

Then you can upgrade that, or then start just buying the parts one at a time or in packs, until you have all the components to assemble it.

I personally don't like the upgrade option since that means that you spent your limited money to buy parts that you won't use. (personal opinion)

I understand the over whelmed, and that is why i suggest that you buy one, and then take your time, do tons of research, and buy the parts that you really want to build your perfect rifle without a rush for the upcoming season. You, could always sell the first one when you are done, but i doubt you do that. There are a lot of sites that will tell you every single part you need, and you can follow that and buy the parts as you can afford them. Joe Bob, a sponsor here, makes it easy to understand and order. http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR_15_Parts_s/125.htm

I just ordered their Rock river Arms 2 stage National Match trigger parts kit with the an upgraded grip, buffer tube kit, and lightweight 6 pos stock for my stripped lower. I have been reading the piles of posts here and after reading here, and other sites about it, decided these couple of kits for under $250 gets me the specific parts that i wanted at a price I am happy with. Now my lower will be done, and i can put it together, and start looking at sales for uppers.

Good luck and take your time.

If you want a 6mm, then get a 6mm. I would suggest building it yourself. They seem to want a bunch of money for finished uppers. Go to Joe Bobs or Palmeto State and get your parts. If you don't want to build your own, put an add in the classified WTB. Building your own, is a cool project

Tom

Originally Posted By: VanceI have no experience with AR's at all other than I did handle one at a gun store once. When I was in the service I used an M14 some, but in my line of work did not get to use it much. I want to jump into this game, but I don't just want a standard run of the mill .223 either. I have been doing a lot of research and it is kind of over whelming with all the variations out there. It makes this hard to decide which way to go.

I want to go with a flat top, optics ready platform, with a 20" barrel and I'm thinking 6x45 caliber. I don't currently own anything in .223/5.56 and would like to have that covered since it seems that everyone has these and I feel left out :) I own a bolt action .204 Ruger and feel like the .223 is just too similar and would like something different. I do reload and like the fact that this is a simple resize of readily available brass to make this happen.

My question : should I just get a standard .223/5.56 entry level gun and then build on that to get what I really want ?

Or should I build from the ground up what I really want, then get a .223 upper later on ?

Right now I have $700 saved up and I'm trying to sell a semi auto .17 HMR to help fund this project. Also, being new to the AR platform, I kind of want to build one so I understand all the workings of these.

What would you all suggest here?

If you want a complete upper or just a barrel you might check with and get one from our site sponsor here R Johnson. He will take care of your needs.

http://ritchsprecisionguns.com/collections/barrels/products/ar15-barrels

Back