Scope mount options for RR LAR 15 X-1

musky

New to AR's, just ordered this Rock River, and not sure about scope mounting options for them. I have two other bolt varmint rigs, plus many other scoped rifles, but decided to try my first AR. I have used Leupold, and Warne rings in the past. Could use some advice on what to look for. The scope will probably have a 30mm tube, and will be mainly used on the bench, with some possible coyote hunting, if it's not going to be too heavy. Probably not a problem though, as for the most part, I can hunt out back on my or my neighbors land. I want the scope to line up the right height for my cheek position on the stock. No scope recommendations please, as I will decide for myself on what my needs are for that.

Last edited:
There's a lot of good 1 piece mounts out there, including one made by RRA. Those type will get the scope to the right height and also allow you to mount it forward for a good cheek weld. I've got a couple made by DNZ that are lighter than most if that's a concern. A lot of people seem to use Burris PEPR mounts with good results.

Prices range from ~ $60 to over $200 for the high end quick detach type.

Looked at all of your suggestions, and at this time am leaning towards the DMZ's because of their light weight, as I am trying to keep the weight down. How will I know if I need a forward mount or not? Will I have to wait till I pick the scope that I want? Also in the interest of keeping the weight down, will regular scope rings mount on the rail, if I can figure out the correct scope height for correct cheek position? I do like the one piece mount idea though. If this turns out good, this could become addicting, as I was torn between ordering a .223 or a 6.5, but went with a .223 as I already loading for two other rifles in that caliber already.

Last edited:
Look at the aero precision lightweight 1 piece ar15 mount if you want lightweight. They offer the cantilever style also. What scope are you looking at anyway? If you use regular scope rings you most likely need the super high ones. That's why on an ar rifle these type of 1 piece mounts are nice. They give you the proper height and are easy to set for relief. Plus the 1 piece looks way better I think than those high rings on the rail. I haven't needed a cantilever, so I don't know about them. Might be more for scout scopes I'm assuming.

It looks as though the one piece mounts are the way to go. Now I just need to figure if I need a forward, or standard mounting one. I guess when I decided on the scope, I will just call Rock River and see if they recommend a standard, or forward mounting one. I'll look in to that aero mount also. I have some time yet, as they told me two months till I will see the AR. As to a scope, I have been leaning towards a Leupold 3-18x44. On my bolts, I like the 50mm scopes, but I am just thinking a 44mm version may be a better fit for this AR build. I also may end up with a Vortex 4-16 44mm, asI may have to cut costs a bit. My wife told me that she was tired of me always talking about having a custom 45 built, and to just order one so she doesn't have to hear about it anymore.

A little pricey but I have a NF 30mm unimount 1.125" tall, I am not using. It works good w/42-44mm scopes but to low for 50mm. Send me a pm if your intrested.

Looks as though I'll have to pick a scope and mount quicker than expected, as my AR showed up in a week and a half, instead of the two months that they said. Really would like a Leupold 3-18, but may instead get a Vortex PST 4-16, due to some extra funds needed for another project.

Rock River cantilever mount and Vortex Viper on my new Grendel build. With an adjustable stock you can move the stock back and forth to get the perfect eye relief.

Well, I'm a little disappointed. My RRA LAR 15x-1 arrived yesterday, and it's on its way back to RRA. Simple matter of somebody not reading the build sheet.

Last edited:
Had asked that the muzzle brake not be loctited on as I didn't plan on using it, and was going to use a simple thread protector instead. The dealer called them on it, and put it on the build sheet. Needless to say, they loctited it on. What stinks, is that when I called them to get it taken care of, they didn't want to even talk to me, and said the dealer must have ordered it that way. They had the build sheet. I guess it was too much trouble to look it up.

Originally Posted By: muskyHad asked that the muzzle brake not be loctited on as I didn't plan on using it, and was going to use a simple thread protector instead. The dealer called them on it, and put it on the build sheet. Needless to say, they loctited it on. What stinks, is that when I called them to get it taken care of, they didn't want to even talk to me, and said the dealer must have ordered it that way. They had the build sheet. I guess it was too much trouble to look it up.

Did your dealer offer to unscrew the muzzle device and wipe off the loctite? I could be missing something, but it doesn't sound like it was permanently affixed to the barrel? Did you plan on using loctite on your thread protector?

Last edited:
Back