Update: Grendel function testing a (relative) success

moonshine44

Fired three rounds of factory Hornady 123 grainers for function testing the new Grendel (still waiting on the scope. Should be here next week). The empty brass landed out in front of me about 5 or 6 feet at about the two o'clock position (barrel considered twelve o'clock). Each case had a tiny perpendicular dent about halfway up the side of the lower part (below the shoulder), I'm assuming from the case deflector on the upper. From stuff I've read on here I believe that it's a bit overgassed, but at this point it doesn't seem to be causing issues. I do have an adjustable gas block installed and will probably be playing with that in the future, but for now it goes bang when it's supposed to and it ejects the empties and feeds loaded rounds, so I'm a happy camper!

There could be a few things causing the dents in the cases. Yes, it could be the shell deflector. You can change that by trimming coils off of the ejector spring or by adding a stiffer extractor spring. I have been able to tune them by doing this so that they drop right next to the gun. But it takes a lot of trial and error. They can also come from bumping against one of the lugs on the barrel extension. This may cure itself over time as the gun breaks in. It could be an over gassing situation. the Grendel is a bit temperamental in getting the gas just right. Some companies choose a minimum gas port diameter and you will get short short stroking, failure to eject and failures to feed. Adjustable gas blocks can help to tune the gun and with the 6.5's since you don't have a lot of ammunition choices that might work.

Thanks, Mo. I haven't had time to do any more shooting with it, haven't even had time to start loading for it yet (cowboy action season is in full swing). Hope to get started working on loads, sight-in, etc. real soon.

Back