Hey Byron, what eastern states did you hunt in "Calling in the East"?

Coyoteducator,

I hunted this year in Pa, and La, but didn't get much usble footage because of time contraints and weather. I would have liked to have hunted more states but due to financial constraints and other obligations most was filmed here in East Texas. I'm aware that most don't think of East Texas when they think about eastern coyotes and calling them. I can assure you it is no different than coyote hunting in most of the Eastern states. I have traveled to many eastern states in the past and called in some prior to filming videos and there is no practical difference. In fact while hunting in Pa last Fall I was amazed at how similar the terrain and habitat was. I'm aware that most guys back East might see a problem with where this video was filmed, but if they look at it with an open mind and apply the tactics, it will be of value. I would be willing to bet that if I didn't tell where I filmed it most would never suspect Texas. Another point I'd like to make is that East Texas is not in any form or fashion a coyote hunting mecca. It is in fact very densly forrested, with small fields scattered around. It is also very densly populated with people, roads, hunters and all the other things that combine to make the Eastern coyote a challenge to call. I have guided quite a few hunters from back east that are amazed at how similar East Texas is to their home terrain. In fact there is one member here on the board, from N.C., that came hunting with me last year that can vouch for this fact.

The video is practically already finished with the exception of a few minor details. It should go to print within a week. I will be at their mercy as far as release date but it should be within 2-4 weeks. I'm very proud of the way it's turned out and believe it will be a very useful tool for guys that hunt coyotes back east "In the Thick Stuff".

Thanks for your interest,

Byron

Byron, Thanks for the reply. East TX sounds similar to my area. The fact that it was filmed in E. TX doesn't bother me, as I've told you, your videos have already helped me! I would probably buy them if it was "Calling on the moon"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My grandfather also enjoys watching them. He doesn't hunt anymore (82 years young) but he gets a kick out of watching those dogs roll! I'll tell him in 3-5 weeks we'll have some new ones to watch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Thanks!

I been to East Texas, there is a reason that they call at least part of it the Big Thicket....

There is enough rain there to have plenty of trees and thick vegetation like many parts of the eastern US.

Byron lives in North East Texas. I live is South East Texas. I can assure you no were can be harder to produce a Coyote video than East Texas. Byron hung it all on the line to do a video in this part of the world.

Thanks guys,

Ronnie,
I knew of all people, you would be one that could relate to what it took to put this video together.

When I decided to put this video together I figured for it to have credibility with some it would have to be filmed deep in the East. I started asking around, trying to find out what Eastern guys wanted or needed on video to help them be more effective. I had many offers to come and hunt in most of the Eastern states (Thanks). I finally came to the realization that I wasn't going to be able to please everyone. I have hunted coyotes in 11 states and have close to thirty years experience in both the East and West. With this experience, I brought to this effort the understanding of the difficulties faced by Eastern callers and how to deal with them. I'm sure I will get the classic "Yeah, but my coyotes are different" critcisms, but that comes with the territory. Coyotes in the East are in fact harder to call but for the most part it is the terrain and the way they are conditioned that makes this so. In the end they are still just a coyote and coyotes respond to distressed animal sounds and coyote vocalizations(this is what they do for a living). In this video I have given tactics and tips that have helped me deal with these issues and they have worked for me quite well.

Thanks again,

Byron

Byron. As you know we have had a couple of contest down here. There were 15 to 20 teams, all good callers. Both contest were 48 hours long. Day and night hunting. The first was won with one Coyote, the second was won with two. Do I need to say more?.

Bryon
Thought I would like to get a word in here to about the east. Bryon I met you at the PPHA picnic in Pa. last year. That is just about as far east as you can get. To help jog your memory Bryon I gave you a PPHA hat and took a lot of pictures.
I would also like to say you are one of the nicest down to earth guys I have met in this sport. If a person does not believe, you are giving them every thing you know to help them get a coyote there loss. Bryon you may get that statement that coyotes are different in the east from some people and that is ok, they will defeat them self before they even start calling.
I know if a coyote does not see, hear or smell you but hears a call they will come a lot of the time. There are just not as many in most of Pa. to make it easy. Bryon your hunting methods will work anywhere, people just need to watch there approach and set up and be sure, there are coyotes with in ear shot. Bryon your effort to come here and get video on coyotes called and shot on film is almost impossible. Calling coyotes, even with a hunter that knows the area in Pa is tough. I cannot even imagine trying to get this on film on top of all the things that can go wrong. Bryon as long as you stay; as you are you will always be one of the best to me.

I agree with Byron about the coyote being a coyote. The only things I've noticed that change it's habits are the presence of man and the terrain. Once folks learn those habits they can take coyotes in the east.I will not tell you it is easy by no means. But it is not as dificult as a lot of folks would have you believe. Jimmie

I think Byron’s tapes are the best out there
But if the title is " calling in the east" it will be very misleading to a lot of us.
I will still be getting it but I am shore glade I know now that it east Texas and not the eastern US

Let me say that Byron south is a grate predator hunter and I am not saying he is wrong
But some one saying (but my coyotes are different) can very well be the truth.
I have hunted them east west north and south in the united states.They my be the same in as they all have a bushy tail and a pointy noise but as for them being the same to hunt east and west I think they are two different animals.
For instance if they were the same don’t you think that you would see more photos of dead coyote from places like Pennsylvania and on the other side of the country like Washington state. Take a look see how many you find. And I know some callers from these areas that are good callers and hunters. The coyote may not be therE in nubers like some places but they are there. If they were the same and not a diferent coyotes then out west you would see more harvested.
My belief is that many things come in to play that make them different.
I have hunted places that were just called so much that a coyote couldn’t be harvest With a call .
But put a bait out and you nock them dead . I now I get the old ( I COULD CALL ONE IN THING)but that something will never know right.
All I can say is that there were 3 outstanding callers that just could not get a coyote till we set up a bait and hunted them at night.

Hunting pressure and habitat
A coyote on a privet ranch that is 45.000 acres is a very different coyote then let say one on public land . you can have 2 guys call that ranch 10 times a year. And some of these ranches are bigger then some states . There are coyote that never been called on places like that.ok they may get shot at maybe but not called .
Them coyote will be a different coyote to hunt then a 4000 acre public land coyote.
I don’t think food make them different . they all need to eat .
And a lot of time I think that they will react to a distress call because it the nature to do so. But I also think they are smart enough to react differently in diferent location to distress sound.
In different locationslike back to the mega ranch in Colorado, lets say. The coyote on a ranch that 35 thousand acres that really never get called to will be way more receptive to coming in with his gard down then say that public land coyote that gets called all the time will. I have seen this. I have hunted places that they just come trotting in and they will hold up for 1 or 2 seconds to get a fix on there pray and head right for it. Well why is that different you may ask . they will never do such a thing here They will work there way in like they already know your there at all times.

A another example,

You never here of any one saying that they had to set shooters out in front of the caller 80yard or have them out in front of the caller in tree stands.or how they sat upagenst a barn and made house cat calls in a houseing developement in any of the videos . These are the out of the box type stuff that works here. That makes them a different coyote they have different ways about them and you have to hunt them differently then other coyote.

I have hunted a lot of places and harvested them a lot of different ways

I still haven’t killed a coyote or know of someone that howled or bark a coyote in to the shot in PA. and I have been doing this a long time but there are still them out there that will tell you they could come here and do it .

That’s it for me on this right know .

And this is just my 2 cent . that’s all so please let me here your thought on it
But I just don’t think that every one can just harvest or be successful as they are in there home area just because they may think coyotes are the same every were.

Last edited:
2 days TEXAS
dogs.jpg

200 setups and 6 mounths in PA
p.jpg

George,

Thanks for the kind words. I hear what your saying. Would you agree that if a coyote was raised on a large piece of land in PA and wasn't pressured much he would be just as easy to call as one raised under the same conditions out West? If so, would you also agree that coyotes that have had lots of pressure and thick, hilly, terrain would react much the same to calls whether in PA, Washington state, or East Texas? Have you ever hunted East Texas?

Buckweat,

I remember you very well and still have the cap. Thanks for the nice words. I enjoyed my trip to PA and hope to come back under better weather conditions.

Jimmie,

I agree with you 100%. Coyotes aren't push-overs anywhere they have constant human pressure and thick cover.

Byron

Most defiantly they would be the same in most ways.
But adding in the coyote population in east Texas and the population here would still come in to play in calling them to the gun.

See here they may fall in to the same category as east Texas coyote but we have such a low number of them that to be successful they need to be hunted I call it out of the box of normal hunting practices. shore you can set up your call or call bye hand but to be successful you need to treat them different here.

Like howling ,

It's not that they will not howl back to a bark or a howl but I believe by doing such calls here would be more as a locater call. Much like using a awl call in the early morning for turkey. And sometimes it could bust you here.

I think are family groups of coyote are much more of a titer nit family here. And that there may only be a certain number of coyote that live in a area and I feel that they are so suspect of any new sound that they know it is out of the ordinary.
I think myself that they know each others sound and mannerisms that howling my let them no something is up . Maybe in the breeding season and when young dog
Move on to new territory that this type of calls may work but I have not found it to be a successful method of working them to the call. Are food that a coyote would pray on is so good here and that the new mailes and females don’t have no competition that it keeps there home range small. And also by them not moving to far to a new home area that will suport there new famelys is what stops us from having a grater number of coyote. I do think they control there population them self to fit there home area holding capabilities. So what I am saying or trying to say.LOL
Is that if there was more competition for the food and they had to move on to better hunting area that they would breed more .that more unsubordinate males would find more females and start there own group.

So because they don’t and stay in groups that they know each other That any thing other then them communicating to each other will be out of the norm .

What I am getting at is yes they may be the same but it would take a different approach to hunting them here .
You have to do thing that others may think is not typical in calling coyotes. Do to the different out look they have on feeding and socializing with each other here.

So I also think if you brought a 4 adult male coyotes from east Texas to Pennsylvania and set them free that that in a years time you would have all 4 of them many many miles from each other with there own family’s . when our coyote would not Do well there

See I don’t do this righting things down on this thing so will . but I do think it grate we can discuss thing like this. and you may have to read it 2 times to make heads or tails of it but i think you can see what i am getting at

So to try and some this up is that I do think that they are in some way the same but different In there way of surviving and life style

I have hunted east Texas if out side Huston is considered east Texas . I was turkey hunting on a friends place
3000 acre horse farm
and had these coyote come to a turkey call

i am uploading photos now
George

Last edited:
thanks Byron ,
I sometimes don't get out what I am trying to say
because I am really just a sheet metal worker and this kind of righting is all new to me .

But I know that you put out a grate product for the every day hunter and we can go wrong by herring what you got to say.
And I think it is out of this would that a guy like me can even get a guy like you to converse back and forth.
You do a hell of a job staying in touch with the every day guy.
and to me that what separates you from a lot of others.

good hunting my friend
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

George, I have always understood where you boys are coming from and like you may not have gotten my point across in the right way.

I remember well what happened around here when howling hit the big time.Dogs came in down wind and silent a lot. Folks not used to the sport would have missed everyone of them and I am sure I missed many myself. Coyote's will almost always respond to the howler in some manner. That will depend on hunter pressure and skills in your area. Even today in several areas of my home county coyote's do not howl until the wee hours of the morning when comunicating with each other.You have to change tactics to get them. Set ups and sounds have to be switched. Downwind calling has to be studied and considered as an option I don't like to use here.

I am very fortunate to have nearby an area with a coyote population as high as anywhere in texas. It's also an area where the hunter pressure and human pressure is as high as anywhere in Pennsylvania.And the crazy thing is when you catch them in the right mood they will howl their heads off like they lived in wyoming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif When I can get within calling distance of them they respond to it all. But out of the thirty or so I call in each winter I and my partners only manage to take five to ten of them.I only count what I actually see or hear alarm call, not what I hear leaving. Many times all that is seen is a rump disapearing in the brush. Very rarely do I hear them aproach at all. Everything I EVER LEARNED ABOUT CALLING IN FARM COUNTRY WENT OUT THE WINDOW WHEN I STARTED HUNTING THIS AREA. There is one group in this area that both Keekee and I have a standing grudge match with.This same group also has the highest hunter and public pressure on it of any of hte groups there. They have continued to bust us both year after year no matter how hard we study the area.

Because of the pressure these animals face they constantly switch habits of where they bed and travel. Making it extremely hard to find them at all.But the fact is they do have habits they follow. Once I learn those habits each winter I begin to call them in. They have two specific types of area they prefer to bed in and that is where they are vulnerable to me. I am still working on how to set up in this area so that my success ratio will match what I do in farm country. The terrain is what they use to whip my fanny unmercifully.

Without walking your ground none of us can tell you exactly where you will find your dogs. And any of us will be a couple of days figuring out how and where they do what they do. All we can do is give you the basic guidelines of coyote habits to get you started.

You will have to learn which sounds others are using in order to eliminate those . What sounds are most likely to work? It could be something as simple as using a double reed rabbit call that has a bit of a squeal in it. I had a double run over me last winter doing just that. An extrememly high pitched bird distress may be the thing you need.I was actually working some hot bobcat sign when I learned that one will get me run over!A sound I call whipped pup , a mixture of grey fox distress and pup yelps ,is so hot it isn't funny. The whipped pup and high pitched bird distress require an open reed call to make.

Keep scouting and asking the question why do they do that, were are they going. Also check out the part of the calling sounds and tactics thread that discusses downwind calling. Maybe you can find something in there that will help out. Jimmie

That is some good advice for the hunters in P.A.
And it sound like you on top of the game in Ky

They are all good starting point but most davit predator hunters in PA are why boned that
The bottom lion of coyote hunting in PA is time in the wood set up after set up.
Do to are coyote numbers.
To understand coyote hunting here I guess you would have to poll the guys that call predators here in PA and see what there success right is .
And the thing people have to remember once they see it is also to consider that PA
Has some grate predator calls in it guy and girls that could be successful any were in the would . then you would see just how difficult the game is here.

Let take this for instance
We hold a lot of hunts each year

There were 56 guys out on this on
2 day hunt I think
There was 6 coyotes harvested.

1) Rich Griffin, 38lbs, Male, Cal 204, Mercer Co., Dogs
2) Randy McDonald,36lbs, Male, 12 Ga, Erie Co., Dogs
3) Randy McDonald,34lbs, Male, 12 GA, Erie Co., Dogs
4) Gary Hoffasker,32lbs, Male, -----, Mercer Co., Dogs
5) John Sonntag, 31lbs, Female, Cal 284,Mercer Co., Tracking
6) Dan Garner, 30lbs, Male, 12 GA, Mercer Co., Dogs

Now if you look on the end you see how they were harvested
And I bet that most hunters in the contest were calling.

There is a contest held here that has 4,372 hunters
The biggest coyote contest in the U.S.A and its in PA
It called the (Mosquito Creek hunt)
Here is a link to find out about it
http://www.mosquitocreeksportsmen.com/Coyote%20Hunt.htm

Total of 4373 Hunter
Total of 102 Coyotes s
Total Prize Money $21,865.00

I think out of the 102 coyote that 40 were harvest by calling
Now out of the 4,373 hunters I would bet that most were calling.

so i hope this help you see alittle better what coyote calling in PA about.

and some of the finest callers in the world are from PA
AND ALSO LOUDMOUTH AND FOXPRO ARE EACH FROM PA

thanks
GEORGE
LOUDMOUTH Field Staff

I find it hard to compare parts of the east to the west.
Main thing I see here in the east...Too much human pressure.
By that, Archery hunters, Squirrel hunters, early season Muzzleloaders, Houndmen, Trappers, hikers & bikers, low Coyote density in most parts, interstates & Malls.
Most western folks don't have a clue to what happens to our fields and forests during 'hunting season'. They never experienced hords of nimrods hitting the woods and snowmoibles and quads fly'n by.
I have know several big name predator hunters from out west that have fell flat on their face when calling the east.
I am not name call'n here, just stating fact. My opinion is these same men would do as well as anyone with some time spent here in the east and maybe better than most. Even our TopNotch NYS Predator Caller and call manufacture made a half-[beeep] eastern calling video.
Let's see a video from New England, NYS, Pa., NJ., Ohio, footage from the East...I don't think so.
I do understand each video has something to say no matter where it's filmed and methods can be used in several parts of the county, Canada and Mexico.
If'n you want to make a Coyote kill'n video, make it in Texas.
George, your pictures are worth a thousand words.
Major Boddicker wrote about Texas as being the highest Coyote density place in the USA, in the 'The Trapper & Predator Caller'.
Professional trappers, Russ Carman, Pete Leggett, Johnny Thorpe and Jim Comstock all have said to the effect that a school boy could make huge catches of Coyote in Texas.
So how do we compare east Texas and west Texas? How do we compare SE Pa. to the northern tier of Pa.?
How do we compare a Eastern Coyote video filmed in Texas or Montana?
I will take the information and see how it fits with my methods and know the marketing of a video in aimed at the large east coast hunter population $$$.

Interesting discussion & opinions.

I to, am of the opinion. That being able to call in a coyote has a lot of varibles involved. Although I've never called, other than in my own county & a neighboring county.

IMO, there is a difference, in how a coyote will respond or not respond in a "given" geographical area in this country. As others have already posted. Similiar type of, terrain{even if it looks simimlar}, ect, ect. Does not mean IMO, they'll react the same, in a different geographical region.

A caller or caller, who normally get one or more coyotes, to respond on any given time, per/stand in {their geographical area. I seriously doubt, whether they can/could be that "consistant" in a different geographical area & terrain. During the same time of season.

Come to "Central Iowa" & do the same. If your results, end up being...same-o, same-o. Then I'll change my opinion.

Although, I'm a new-guy caller. I have been "hunting" coyotes for quite a long while. I believe, I do a good job, setting up & callin. But out of close to 50x, so far. I've only had 7 coyotes respond. Well...that I've seen anyway.

Good discussion

Back