need recommendations for a scope

tyler cagle

So I have a stainless ruger mini 14 and want a good optic put on it. It needs to be under $200 I've been looking at Nikon's bdc style scopes. Any suggestions?

Pick up a used Bushnell Elite 3200. They made a lot of those in stainless and they're great little scopes. I've beat the heck out of one on my muzzleloader and it keeps on truckin'.

Redfield 4-12? Not sure what they run new these days, but I believe mine was right around $200 when I got it. Been pleased with it.

Redfields are around $250 on amazon so a little out if my price range. I've been looking at the Nikon's bdc cause they are specifically tailored to the 223. cartridge (which is the round my mini 14 shoots). I want something that I can confidently take a coyote at 200 yards. Oh yea the scope reticle has to have marks for various ranges.

You sure don't need a BDC for coyotes out to 200 yards, you can hold on fur to that range with a 223. Most of my guns have 1-4x20's or 1.5-6x40's on them and are good to 300 easily and rarely come of the lowest power for 90% of my shots. I personally think FOV trumps X's for called coyotes.

If you just gotta have a BDC, look at the Burris Fullfield II or E-1 2-7x35 w/Ballisticpex, retail on both is under $200.

Maybe look for and older Nikon monarch. I have quite a few of those, and they just keep on going. In a 2-7 or 3-9, I find them to be great hunting scopes. And they seem tough. Don't really hear about them breaking much either. Or a used leupold in your budget. I like both those brands the most for a hunting scope.

Originally Posted By: AWSYou sure don't need a BDC for coyotes out to 200 yards, you can hold on fur to that range with a 223. Most of my guns have 1-4x20's or 1.5-6x40's on them and are good to 300 easily and rarely come of the lowest power for 90% of my shots. I personally think FOV trumps X's for called coyotes.

If you just gotta have a BDC, look at the Burris Fullfield II or E-1 2-7x35 w/Ballisticpex, retail on both is under $200.

This.

If you have any pawn shops around, take time to prowl them...Many take optics off of the rifles in the rack due to space and you can find some decent buys...Look for the Field of View specs...The wider the FoV, the more usable for predators...If you need to leave your drivers license with the shop owner, try to get the optic outside for viewing, rather than looking at it in the store lighting...

Like others, I question the BDC reticle need for the distance you state...Trigger time at the range will serve you better at various distances..I have a 2.8-10x (pawn shop purchase for $50) on my AR and seldom get it off of the lowest setting...Only if my target is either partially hidden or much farther away where I need the magnification for a clean shot do I crank it up....

Try a wide view Red Dot with a small or variable sized dot. It's a quick moving rifle, compact and quick shooting. Why tie it down with a bulky scope for shooting 200 yes or less at varmints.

Originally Posted By: cdbOriginally Posted By: AWSYou sure don't need a BDC for coyotes out to 200 yards, you can hold on fur to that range with a 223. Most of my guns have 1-4x20's or 1.5-6x40's on them and are good to 300 easily and rarely come of the lowest power for 90% of my shots. I personally think FOV trumps X's for called coyotes.

This.

Yep.

If your mini is one that's really accurate, a Leupold 3x9x33 ultralight might be the ticket. My mini is not all that accurate....minute of coyote at 200 yards, so I choose a Leupold M8 fixed 6x33 (or a 4x33 if you want a little less magnification). No dials to dick with, bulletproof, lightweight, compact....set it and forget it. Oh, and it's a Leupold.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
YMMV but for my eyes the best scope under $200.00 is the Burris Fullfield II. I would get a 2-7 for a mini 14.

Originally Posted By: AWSYou sure don't need a BDC for coyotes out to 200 yards, you can hold on fur to that range with a 223. Most of my guns have 1-4x20's or 1.5-6x40's on them and are good to 300 easily and rarely come of the lowest power for 90% of my shots. I personally think FOV trumps X's for called coyotes.

I agree. It takes some getting used to, but low power works great. A 2-7 is also very good. A weaver classic v I think comes in silver and is excellent. Leupold vx1 I have seen on sale for 199 maybe a little better and certainly a better warranty. I don't personally like stainless scopes, even on a stainless gun. They will also be much harder to sell if u ever want to upgrade later.

Back