silencer accuracy question

Perhaps not common...but certainly not abnormal.
It depends on the quality of the suppressor, the quality of the thread job and how good of a shooter you are already.
A lot of the increase in accuracy is simply due to shooter comfort due to recoil reduction.
However, yes, a good suppressor with a properly threaded barrel can increase accuracy potential.

The reduced Recoil, reduced noise, reduced muzzle flash helps diminish flinching, anticipating recoil and other poor shooting habits.

Then there is the psychological benefits, of shooting suppressed as well.
If you believe it will help it will ultimately hlep you.
As stated you have to have a quality suppressor, a gunsmith how knows how to thread the barrel properly, and you must do your part by using proper shooting fundamentals as well.
A suppressor isn't a magic pill. Some will also require you to tweek your reloads or look to different loads.
Having said all this, feel free to call me if you have more questions. Fitting the correct suppressor to meet your needs, weapons and how you intend to use it is also important.
Thanks
Steve
RLTW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Suppressor will also help harmonically balance your barrel.

WHAT???
Um, that's complete hogwash.

Adding weight to the end of the barrel doesn't make it harmonically balanced. It most certainly changes the harmonics, but the only way for it to have helped harmonically balance anything is pure luck.

Those barrel de-resonator rubber things you can slide down the length of your barrel can "theoretically" modify the harmonics in a predictable manner because you can "tune" them for each rifle by sliding it forward or backward. I don't use one so I can't confirm or deny if it modifys anything enough to matter, but the idea is solid.
Suppressors don't work like that. Suppressors are on the end, that's it.

Without changing the weight or length to specifically tune it...you're not helping. You're just making it different.
Sometimes it does help, but that's simply a matter of luck.
Barrel profile, bore diameter, length, metallurgy, temp, yada yada yada..will effect the harmonics. Adding X weight to the end won't "improve" anything, it will only "change" it.

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Suppressor will also help harmonically balance your barrel.

WHAT???
Um, that's complete hogwash.

Adding weight to the end of the barrel doesn't make it harmonically balanced. It most certainly changes the harmonics, but the only way for it to have helped harmonically balance anything is pure luck.

Those barrel de-resonator rubber things you can slide down the length of your barrel can "theoretically" modify the harmonics in a predictable manner because you can "tune" them for each rifle by sliding it forward or backward. I don't use one so I can't confirm or deny if it modifys anything enough to matter, but the idea is solid.
Suppressors don't work like that. Suppressors are on the end, that's it.

Without changing the weight or length to specifically tune it...you're not helping. You're just making it different.
Sometimes it does help, but that's simply a matter of luck.
Barrel profile, bore diameter, length, metallurgy, temp, yada yada yada..will effect the harmonics. Adding X weight to the end won't "improve" anything, it will only "change" it.

To not be nit picking your both saying pretty much the same thing with different terminology. Bottom line it can and will effect harmonics and if it changes harmonics and improves them doing so then it did exactly what both of you said.
smile.gif

A suppressor will help to the harmonics of the barrel would have been a better statement sorry if there was any confusion.
If you have a 1/2 moa gun, and you put on a quality suppressor on a barrel that is property thread you will have a 1/2 or better gun. If you do your part with fundamentals and proper ammo. You will see better accuracy. How EVER if you use crap you get crap back.

I personally feel that a suppressor allows you to fast track your shooting skills. For new shooters i have seen it happen many times.
Put a new shooter on a suppressed rifle, Teach them fundamentals, using good EQ and ammo,you'll see good results. Better then shooting unsuppressed.

Bottom line---suppressors help, and I personally will not shot without one. unless its not legal.

If adding weight to the end of a barrel shrinks groups the load wasn't very well tuned in the first place. It's going to change the harmonics. Period. The harmonics in and of themselves don't get better. Or worse. Just different.

It's difficult to imagine how turning and threading the end of a good barrel can possibly do anything to enhance absolute precision. I think the best you can hope for is no harm. That's why you should use a 'smith that knows what he's doing for the work.

If you do see better accuracy it's just dumb luck and a different load probably would have shot just as well before the machine work was done and the weight was screwed on.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeSo you are questioning a guy that deals in supressors for a living?
If you're asking me...then YES.
I assure you, that being a dealer doesn't mean jack squat to me.
I've seen way to many shady dealers in the firearms industry that push marketing garbage on ignorant customers that don't know the difference. ESPECIALLY in the NFA industry.
This is a dangerous tactic because sooner or later you get bit.
I enjoy going to gun shows to bait dealers into feeding me bull spit. It helps me avoid their business later on in life.
I'M NOT REFERRING TO RANGERWALKER AT ALL...but the industry in general has a bad habit of trying to talk over people with the assumption that the customer doesn't know anything.

Originally Posted By: DAA...It's going to change the harmonics. Period. The harmonics in and of themselves don't get better. Or worse. Just different.
- DAA
EXACTLY

Let me start by saying, Yes I feed my family and pay the bills with the sale of Firearms and Class III items.
I started this business because of people like Cbass16 is talking about. My first suppressor purchase was just like what he is talking about back in 05. After that i decided to get educated, Jump into the busines and help shooters wanting to get in to the class III process.

I made a mistake saying balancing harmonics. It does effect the harmonics, as stated.
The real issue is Accuracy. I have seen time and time again a suppressor helps a shooter be a better shooter. As Stated above by my self a suppressor is not a MAGIC PILL for your rifle. For those who hunt and shoot for fun its a way to shoot better.

I'm not trying to start a war of words. I want to spread the joy of shooting and hunting suppressed to as many people as are interested. I have build my success on customer service, guiding people thru the class III process, and putting the best class III item in my customers hands. NOT just what i have in stock.

I have used a large number of class III items, shooting, hunting, and when I was in the Army.
I by no means am the final word and know everything. I take time daily to stay on top of what is new and the changes in the industry.

I hope this clears the air.
Thanks
Steve RLTW.

Just out of curiosity, at the national level competitions, how many of the top guys are shooting suppressed?

A suppressor may or may not make a rifle or pistol more "accurate", but it sure as heck seems like it could make a SHOOTER more accurate. At the very least it would seem to improve the "shootability" of just about any firearm which by all means could easily be interpreted as "accuracy".

If you take a firearm and lock it in to a vice, taking out all human element, will adding a suppressor improve the accuracy? As has been said...MAYBE, depending on the individual firearm. I am not aware of any empirical data to support or refute this. Is it out there?

Take the same scenario and put that firearm into the hands of a person. Will the "accuracy" now improve for suppressed vs unsuppressed? Experienced opinion seems to be an overwhelming YES to that.

Does that make it to be true then? Not necessarily. But for many things in life, perception is reality. If I believe a particular weapon is better due to XYZ, my confidence will be higher and typically that WILL result in a better outcome.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatJust out of curiosity, at the national level competitions, how many of the top guys are shooting suppressed?
Actually, Not as many as you would think.

Why?
Because a suppressor adds length and weight and in a PRS type event for example...positional shooting and moving in and out of positions makes longer/heavier rifles a negative attribute. More guys are using brakes than suppressors in those kind of matches. It's not an OVERWHELMING number of guys, because yes...a LOT still use a can...but I believe the majority use a brake.
At one time, I believed that a suppressor could reduce recoil as much or better than a brake. They can't.
A brake is significantly better at reducing recoil and keeping the bore line on target to view impacts. Yes a suppressor is better than nothing...but it's not even close to as good as the best brakes on the market.
This has been tested.

This is where it comes down to how good the shooters already are at what they do.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerI know who I'm going to listen too.....And a fish ain't it.....

I'm certain, this "fish" has ran more can's outside the "city range" than most anyone here.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: PredburnerI know who I'm going to listen too.....And a fish ain't it.....

I'm certain, this "fish" has ran more can's outside the "city range" than most anyone here.

^^^^^^Like

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: PredburnerI know who I'm going to listen too.....And a fish ain't it.....

Meh...When you come across as a jerk off.....I tend to not listen.....

Back