trying to replicate a factory load

batman1262

I am relativley new to reloading. I have a 1-12 twist 26" barrel that shoots hornady superformance 50 gr vmax at 1/2 moa. Shot this load over chrono and was 3950 average. What powder has the best chance at getting me in this range? These factory loads are not showing signs of pressure, ie craters, flat primers, stiff bolt lift. I understand working up. Just looing for insight. Just trying to get better (accuracy) if I can. Altho I do like the speed and accurate.

BTW it is a 22-250 mod 12 VLP-DBM savage.

You'll have trouble getting to the same speed, but, IMR-4895 or Varget with the 50 grain bullet is where I would start. You'll only get to around 3800 but the accuracy should be there.

I accidently copied that when building a load. I never checked the speed of the hornady but accuracy was as good or better than the hornady. My load was 35.8gr imr4064,cci200 50gr vmax,oal 2.350,this load was at 3710fps from my 24" 700adl. It grouped the 50gr bt just as good.

Neither Hodgdon or Hornady list a load for Superformance powder in the 22-250 for anything under 60 grs. Plus the Superformance powder is not what the factory Superformance ammunition is loaded with. I'm not sure your going to get to 3950. I have a 1 in 14 26 inch barrel and with a max load of H4895 I can't quite tip 3800 with a 52 gr bullet. 3950 is smokin for a 22-250.

I thought that was a hot load too, so I took an average of 5 shot string. SD was relatively low too! I may just have to buy cases of loaded ammo. I like the bullet and speed, its like swinging Thor's hammer at coyotes!

Was just hoping to replicate if possible!

We got close with 8208 and h380. Never quite got the velocity from factory rounds but a coyote isn't going to know the difference in 100fps.

haha that is a long standing "discussion" about how the powder and what is loaded in their ammo is not the same.

What ever you decide to do, buy or load, good luck..

If you wanna load, i would suggest that you get powder that isn't temperature sensative. I have a feeling that humidity and temp in your state is a lot different in the winter than summer. of course right?

When people start loading they often focus on the speed of the bullet. Ammunition is about accuracy. No one goes to the store and buys the fastest ammo they can.. You buy ammo that is accurate and shoots small groups, smaller the better.

It's not a drag race, shooting is graded on hitting the target, and hitting a coyote at 3900fps or 3700 doesn't matter. Trust me, both drill them hard.

I load the most accurate load i can. I don't settle on .5moa or bigger loads. Work a load up, and try a few different bullets, and powders until you find one that works the best for your rifle. Just look at the components and ensure they will help you be consistent as possible before you start.

Good luck

Tbone, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I load for acuracy first, speed second. Accuracy trumps speed in my book. But I was geting both from factory loadings. And it seemed that my .5 moa was average, I had several .25-.3 groups when I had a good day(less coffee). Lol. It may be that a 50gr may actually shoot alittle better at 3800 or 3850 fps. I just know that a factory load at .5 all day was good, and was wanting to bracket that speed and see where the best was before I played with OAL. But, I also knew that it was gonna be tough to get that velo. Kinda just kicking the pig around and asking for advice from more experienced guys like yourself, Heck, I may even try 52 gr amax too. I have some 52 bergers FB but the BC is soooo low! I havent tried those yet.

It was also a very correct statement about the temp and humidity swings here in KY. Prolly gonna stick with temp insensative powder.

Thanks Mbay, I will prolly give that a go! I looked at 8208 more than once! I just gotta go find some now!

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger8950s. And the factory loaded rounds are SUPERformance, the
powder is SUPERperformance. Its a marketing gimmick.

Actually the powder and the ammo are both spelled Superformance. Not that the name makes a bit of difference. As you can see Hornady even has their name on the can but you are absolutely correct it is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. The Superformance ammo was a huge hit for Hornady they capitalized on the brand name and in the process many people assumed it was the same powder from their loaded ammunition. It seems in the 22-250 and smaller cases it does better with heavier bullets and in the 243 and bigger it tends to do well with mid weights. For me it has performed very well I'm the 6.5 Creedmore.

Last edited:
The above pictured Superformance powder will not get you that velocity. The Leverrevoltion powder they make would probably get you really close though. It's very similar to CFE223 which also would get you there or really close. AR Comp will also get you there or at least it does for me in a 24 inch barrel and I use 52 gr Bergers.

Originally Posted By: venaticThe above pictured Superformance powder will not get you that velocity. The Leverrevoltion powder they make would probably get you really close though. It's very similar to CFE223 which also would get you there or really close. AR Comp will also get you there or at least it does for me in a 24 inch barrel and I use 52 gr Bergers.

No that Superformance powder certainly will not. Whats your average velocity with ar comp? If your pushing 3950 from a 24 in barrel I may need to give it a shot over my old stand by H4895.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: venaticThe above pictured Superformance powder will not get you that velocity. The Leverrevoltion powder they make would probably get you really close though. It's very similar to CFE223 which also would get you there or really close. AR Comp will also get you there or at least it does for me in a 24 inch barrel and I use 52 gr Bergers.

No that Superformance powder certainly will not. Whats your average velocity with ar comp? If your pushing 3950 from a 24 in barrel I may need to give it a shot over my old stand by H4895.

I am getting a little above 3950 actually.

Well this thread has certainly opened my eyes to a new powder then. I seen some on the shelf just the other day I intend on giving it a go. That is some pretty impressive velocity. Does it seem to be fairly temp stable?

Back