1-14 twist 22-250 load help

DakotaBoy

I have rem700 with varmint barrel on the way. twist is 1-14.
anyone have experience to share as to loads etcthat work well.

will be a p-dog and prdator gun.
thanks for any help.

52 Gr Hornady Amax
35 gr H4895
2.435 COL

That's a .755 group at 200 yards, not bad for a 400 dollar rifle that is still sitting in that plastic factory stock.

Of course just because my rifle shoots this well don't mean yours will. If I remember right my chamber had a very long throat so I seated the base of the bullet to the neck/shoulder junction and called it good. For what it's worth the 52 Sierra Matchking shoots well with the same load and seated to the neck/shoulder junction.

The Hornady Amax is an absolute hammer on predators and varmints. If the pictures weren't of gory bloodbaths I could post the proof.

You did not say exactly what you wanted such as what grain bullets you wanted. You also did not state bullet brand preference. I mostly use Nosler BT because the have a better coefficient. But Vmax is second choice. Remember this is for my Gun it is a Rem 700 VSF 26" barrel. Older model. 1-14 Twist
So here goes I will give you 40,50,& 55 grain. I am going to give you several powders because my gun will use many powders and does good. Having a Remington gives you a longer leade most likely.
I know it does in mine. So adjust the COAL to suit you and your gun. Also these loads are some examples of what works in my gun, so they may not work in yours. Lets hope they do, or at least give you a good starting point.

40 GR BT w/36 grs. of IMR 8208
50 GR BT w/34 grs of IMR 4895
50 GR BT w/37 grs. of H380 most accurate my gun.
50 GR BT w/36 grs. of Varget
55 GR BT w/34 grs of IMR 4895 most accurate in my gun
55 GR BT w/34 grs of Varget Nosler book claims 31.0 gr most accurate but each gun different.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
39.6 grs H380 50 gr Nosler B.T. CCI 200 L.R. Primer Winchester Brass. Custom Chamber and Barrel . Pretty Hot Load but shoots great in my rifle. Would start low and work up. You'll find the .22/250 will shoot great with most powder/ bullet combinations. IMR 4064 is another good performing powder in the .22/250 Hornady V Max shoot good also and the Sierra Blitz Kings.

Thanks guys, this site is great for all the help members will offer . Will take more advice as anyone cares to post .
Looking forward to this weekend to site in with what's in the safe for now. I have liked both vmax and nosler BT in other rifles , I will likely try both to work up a few favorite loads with each .

Helped a friend with his Win. coyote lite 22-250 and it ended up shooting 40gr Nosler BT with 37 grains of Benchamrk w/2.360 COAL, the best of anything we tried. This wasn't a super hot load but no way would I recommend starting at 37gr. either.

I will add that it did start to really walk up and to the right once it got some heat in the barrel. Three or four shots would almost always go .5 MOA but after that it would consistently start walking but this was a bone stock off the shelf rifle and I'm sure it would have benefited from a decent bedding job AND a better trigger. The factory trigger felt like two rocks grinding together.

I have a factory sps varmint with 1-14 that loves 36.5 gr varget with 50 gr noslers at 2.475. Shoots lights out. 3680 fps.
First thing I would do if it was me, find a good deal on a timney trigger, and a used hs precision stock or bell and Carlson. Then really watch this gun perform.

my 22-250 loves the 50gr Vmax and 36.42grs of Varget.

With a 14 twist rate you may want to try using lighter side bullets. 40-55gr bullets.

I personally haven't used any in a 22-250 but I've read Hodgdon CFE223 is working very well, also.

Anyone here used any CFE223 in their 22-250's??

52 grain Berger MV and IMR 4350 with a CCI primer. Another accurate load is a 50 grain Vmax with IMR 4064.

The sweet thing about a 22-250 is that there are a multitude of good options for it.

I tried the A Max bullet in both my 22-250 and 220 Swift. It was accurate but didn't perform well on coyotes because of a heavier jacket apparently made for larger game. That's my experience and I'm not looking for an argument.

52 grain Berger MV and IMR 4350 with a CCI primer. Another accurate load is a 50 grain Vmax with IMR 4064.

The sweet thing about a 22-250 is that there are a multitude of good options for it.

I tried the A Max bullet in both my 22-250 and 220 Swift. It was accurate but didn't perform well on coyotes because of a heavier jacket apparently made for larger game. That's my experience and I'm not looking for an argument.

35 gr. Varget ahead of a 52 gr. Speer hollowpoint (not match). Prefer a Fed 210 primer. One of the best fur loads youll ever see out of a 250. Fast enough (3650 ish), accurate, kills with authority, minimal pelt damage(for a 250) Classic pelt hunting bullet for 1/14 twist 22-250.
Mark

In a 26" VSSF, the mack daddy load was with the Nosler Black C/T bullets, 41.5g of Win 760 at 3850 fps, shot a single bug hole group. The naked 55g Nosler ballistic tips could not be loaded with this load, as the coating reduces pressure. Bullets were seated to touch the lands in Win brass. Can't remember the primer, but it made a difference.

We shot 34 in a row, 1 3/4 mini clay pigeons at 400 yards without missing, then went back and shot the pieces. Scope was a Burris black diamond 8-32.

My Ruger likes a 40 grain VMax, with 39.5 grains of Varget. It's a pretty stiff load, but it shoots likes a laser, and is not too hot in my rifle.

Originally Posted By: DakotaBoyAnyone use hollow points in the 40-55 grain range?

NO, I do not use them the Plastic tips on Nosler and Hornady perform well, and besides that,,,,,, The place where I hunt Prairie Dogs, requires the use of plastic tips. No FMJ or Hollow points. Their claim is ricochets. Cattle and sometimes horses may be in the vicinity.

I have always had good luck with H414 and a 55gr Nosler BT or Sierra 55gr BK. 40grs of H414, CCI200 in Lapua brass has produced very accuracy and decent velocities.

My rifle is a Browning a-bolt, 1:14" and my go to load for the past few years has been 34.5 of IMR 4064 topped with a Barnes varminator bullet 40 or 50gr. It shoots very well and is easy on the brass but I still get about 3600fps if I remember correctly. It has been a while since I have looked at my notes for that rifle.

Oh, and it is very effective in reducing our eastern coyote population. Bullet usually doesn't exit.

Nick

Back