2015 Archery Elk & Mule Deer Scouting Video

Good luck. I am pulling for you. Since you are going way early the rut may not be kicking and Bulls may be reluctant to respond to calls, I suggest looking hard for isolated water sources, wallows and choke point since an ambush approach may be more effective. early season can be tough for calling. That being said, you have a much better chance at calling a mature Bull early than you do during full rut because a smart old herd Bull is usually VERY reluctant to leave his harem to respond to calls. Early on they tend to still be alone and can be vulnerable if you peak his curiosity. If there is anything I can help you with let me know. I been chasing Bull elk in September for a long time and learned many lessons the hard way. Still learn every time I go afield.

Great insight HighPlains! Thanks for the advice. I'll take all it all. Yah, hopes are high and reality could be something very different. However, I'm a high energy, high effort guy. We'll follow up with another video at the end of our hunt....and hopefully another predator video after this weekend.

No problem Recon. Anything to help a brother out. I wish I would have had a resource when I started out that would have shortened my learning curve. Unfortunately back then, resources like this as well as "How to" videos either did not exist, were hard to come by or were far and few in between. I learned many lesson via the school of hard knocks. Good thing about those lessons is they tend to cement themselves in your brain. I will be in the Wyoming high country from Sept 12th thru Oct 3rd chasing bulls. I will let you know how I do. Good luck Recon.

Back