Sidearm coyote!

Halbach

Left out the house this morning with my go bag, ergohunter buck knife, binos and strapped my ruger gp100 357 mag to my waist. Planning to scout out some mule deer I've been seeing and only brought the 6 shells in the cylinder. Within half an hour of climbing(literally a few hundred feet) I got into the deer. As I was playing peek a boo over little drainages and spurs on the hill I was within 100 meters from the deer and sat down to start counting tines on the bucks to see if any were legal. That's when I heard a deer snort wheeze way behind me. I looked back and tried seeing where the deer was but had no luck. I thought it impossible that a deer that far away scented me so I decide to circle the herd in front of me before they spooked by all the ruckus behind me. I got up on the top of a spur over looking a aspen filled drainage and sat to glass again.

That's when the hair on my neck tried jumping off and that "oh **** OH ****!" Reaction started. I heard the weeds right behind me snap almost too late as I swiveled drawing my 357 at the same time and saw a coyote literally 5 yards away mid jump coming full speed for a meal. I stood as I cocked the hammer and touched my 1# trigger off as he tried to turn. The roar of revolver silenced the mountain but the millisecond later THUMP! turned me to pure murder mode. This yotes been eating fawns, would've been eating me, and I just put a 357 slug in his chest yet he has the gall to try running away. So I squeezed the trigger a couple more times thoroughly ruining the pelt and satisfyingly getting my first coyote kill with a handgun. My ears were ringing so loud I couldn't hear a thing until about an hour ago, my heart was beating so fast that as I drug the coyote to a good spot to skin it out I considered just slidding down the hill, it was the biggest rush I've had in a while. The yote died 7 steps from where I was crouched. The next trip will be just for fawn killers and I'll bring my camera!

Another fawn killer in the dirt - that's a good day.

Who did the action work on your GP100? A 1# trigger on a GP is quite the feat.

No idea who did it. A gentleman in Texas dropped my SA to 1# and my DA to 4#. It was being made into a competition handgun an then the guy sold it to me. Easily hits ground squirrels out to 20 yards too. Haven't tried any farther.

Welcome to Predator Masters ! Congrats on the coyote ! Doing it in self defense makes it an even better kill, lol. Camera is a good idea, guys here will tell you, no pics, didn't happen.

Back