? for Colt 6920 owners

1trkyhntr

I have dedicated my RRA to a night hunting rifle, so now I want another AR for daytime. I have a never fired Colt 6920 that is completely stock.
If I replace the sight/gas bock, add a free float hand guard, and add a new trigger, and you guys know what that will cost, will this rifle make a good hunting rifle. I admit that I don't know anything about ARs. I have been told that the chrome lined M4 barrel on the Colt will not be overly accurate no matter what I do. Is this true?
I thought about buying a new upper and swapping the trigger, but I could almost buy another rifle by the time I do that.
What do you think?

All depends on parts choices on what it would cost to switch it all out, $300 minimum would be a good starting point with very basic parts. Shop around and you could find a nice upper, give JSE surplus a look.

Many do not consider the 6920 ideal, but there's nothing about it that make it a bad choice. Colt chrome lined barrels are plenty accurate for small game or varmints out to reasonable ranges.

I would simply cut down the front sight, good scope, say 2.5-10x an SSA G trigger and what ever buttstock is most comfortable and shoot it enough to find out if installing a free float tube is worth it. Use good ammo to find out what kind of accuracy the 6920 is really capable of. I'd be surprised if it won't shoot 1 moa.

If it were me, I'd start with the Colt 6721 because I like the barrel profile better. You can keep checking at http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6721 to see when they are in stock again. Or give them a call. They sometimes have stuff available for those who call directly

After calculating the cost of upgrading the Colt, I decided to buy another rifle.
Rock River Operator lll. Car operator stock, free float hand guard with full rail, winter trigger guard, 2 stage trigger, H-bar 1 in 9 twist.
Topped off with a Zeiss 3x9x40 in a RRA one piece mount..
It's a shooter.
The Colt goes back in the safe.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
Back