Advice for a novice coyote hunter

OsageAssassin

Howdy y'all, my name is Kyler and I'm 18 years old. About to start my senior year of high school before heading off to college at K-State. I've hunted southeast Kansas (Montgomery and Chautauqua county) since I was 6. My family owns 440 acres of land that I have full access to that I hunt regularly for deer and turkey. I am not very experienced in coyote hunting, and this will be my first year of going after em. I want to thin the coyote population to help out the deer, turkey, and quail. But I also think Coyotes are very intriguing animals, and that calling them in is a very exciting challenge. I know there are many coyotes on the property, and can hear many groups howling every evening. This land is mostly forest, very dense with lots of mixed oak and cedar trees, the terrain is fairly hilly, making lots of places where the wind swirls. The small patches that aren't dense forest are tall grass, with cedars scattered in. There aren't many high spots that are good vantage points to see a long ways, besides tree stands I suppose. There are also 2 small and one medium sized winter wheat food plots surrounded by timber. I know there are lots of unpressured Coyotes out there that I want to start hunting (also lots of Bobcats) I just need some tips to set me in the right direction, especially with the difficult terrain I have to hunt. I have a .243 and a 12 gauge, and a Primos Lil Dog call. Any insight you all could offer about setup or calling in my conditions would be much appreciated. I plan to have a few days next week dedicated to putting some shags on the ground!

Welcome to PM. It is always good to see young men coming into this sport. This place is loaded with guys like Mick and you will gain a wealth of knowledge. Sorry I could not give you any advice but I am also new to this.

Last edited:

Welcome to PM.Tim Titus @ No Off Season is a member here and has an excellent article for beginners and there are others on here as well. I've never taken the time to learn how to post a link but reading it would be very helpful to you. Tips? There are a ton but here are a few that come to mind.
1. Scouting. Find out where they frequent, where they travel, etc... If you check around the edges of your food plots there will likely be "sign". Field edges, creeks, draws, terrain changes, are a good place to start. This can also be as simple as sitting on the porch and listening in the late evening/early morning. After a rain or snow are good times to look for sign.
2. Stealth. You must get on stand w/o being seen or heard. This includes quietly shutting PU doors ,tailgates, fence crossings, walking in,etc...
3. Set up with something behind you to break up your outline (not in front as this may inhibit your shot). Those cedar trees work great.
4.Try to keep the sun out of your face and in theirs.
5. Find a spot that gives you an elevation advantage.
6. Probably the hardest to get a handle on and maybe the most important. Use the wind to your advantage. You don't want your scent to be carried to where you think they will be coming from. Set up where they have to show themselves before they can get your scent.
7.Be ready BEFORE you start calling. Gun up,shell in chamber,comfortable, scanning with your eyes. Occasionally they will appear in a matter of seconds. They are conditioned to detect the slightest of movements or sounds so scan with your eyes and if you need to move your head or readjust for a shot, do so slowly.
8. Be careful. This is habit forming. You may find yourself daydreaming about calling when you should be doing school work and it could adversely effect your grades!!! Have Fun, Good Luck!

Welcome, there's alot of good info here.
Gives you a head-start on yote hunt'n..

My one nugget of advice is to practice your 243 shooting in the exact position(s) you use on the stand.

^^ Agreed, great point Flintrock!

Only thing I can think to add is practice a pup distress on that Lil Dog call and maybe pick up a rabbit distress call to use as well. You tube has hundreds of videos on how to mimic rabbit & pup distress. Good luck to you & you'll find a wealth of knowledge here.

I have to agree 100%, with everything you have been told so far.

A few things that I might add are.....

#1) As stated before, it's good to do your best to get permission to hunt other properties...especially in at least a 5 mile area circling your family's 440 acres...using that 440 acres as the center of the "circle".
{OBVIOUSLY, THE MORE PIECES OF PROPERTY WITHIN DRIVING DISTANCE, IS ALWAYS BETTER STILL. Hahahahaha}

Coyotes can have a seemingly large "territory" that they travel thru. Just because a coyote is in a certain acreage today, doesn't mean it won't be a few miles away tomorrow.

#2) Keep in mind that, just like a deer, a coyote doesn't really NEED a large piece of cover in which to feel secure. It might only be 1-2 acres, but if it looks "gamey", and you think it might hold a deer or pheasant...then there just MIGHT be a coyote bedding there.
I have seen coyotes (especially when it's not 4" of snow & blustery winds...but even sometimes then as well).....bed in plum thickets that were no bigger than an average 2-car garage....with those thickets being the only cover in a full section of drilled wheat fields.

#3) Once you've done your scouting, and found tracks, scat, "kill" sights (where a coyote has eaten it's meal of bunny/fowl)....take time to take in the surroundings.
What the terrain is; the plant life; possible water sources; ect.
Observe how the winds/breezes {the updrafts and downdrafts} move in that location.
Stand in various spots, and try to figure out lanes which the coyotes may come to your calling...or their escape routes.
Keep a log or journal of all the little things. They may seem trivial, but they also could spell either success or failure.
By little things, I mean the time of day in which you see various animals (and what animals they are), where you wish to hunt. Keep track of barometric pressures; wind conditions; the sun/clouds; when a certain spot that you have chosen to sit at (for a calling spot) is in shade.
Also, keep in mind, that regardless of whether open pasture or stands of timber....these weather conditions affect where a coyote prefers to bed down.
Less of an issue during warm temps.
But, when it's cold...a coyote will likely bed (in my observations) on a south-facing slope if the wind is from any northerly direction.
If all the draws and valleys run east/west...and the wind is blowing cold out of the west...don't be surprised to find a coyote bedded in the bottom of the draw, tight against an eastern-facing little "waterfall" (just deep enough to keep the wind at bay).

#4) When doing all of this scouting, and then hunting....think less like a human, and more like a predatory animal.
As flintrock mentioned, stealth is your friend.
When walking to your stand (and even to a point, when leaving)...don't walk like a human. Humans tend to walk "fast", even if they don't think that they are.
If you've ever watched a deer walk, you've probably noticed that when feeding, they normally take a few SLOW steps...then stop to either take a bite, or to look for danger.
It's been my observations that coyotes are somewhat similar. Unless they have a true destination in mind...and want to get there in a hurry...when they are hunting/mousing they will go a short distance and then stop to look around. And, they normally are light enough on their feet that they aren't heard when walking.
When humans walk, we tend to "crunch, crunch, crunch" thru the grasses.
So, the slower you can walk, and the lighter you can place your feet, the better.
So what if it takes a few more minutes to get to your calling spot.
If the cadence of your steps, and the noise they make, scare the coyote out of the area before you get there....then what kind of success will you have?
Besides, if you are walking slowly, it's easier to see twigs and stuff in front of your path...and be able to avoid them to make less noise.

Sorry, sir. I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there. And I hope that my suggestions didn't come across more like a lecture.
It's just how I am.
I will NEVER be anywhere close to some kind of so-called expert. But, I have been after coyotes for 40+ years. So, sometimes when I open the flood gates of my mind, it's hard to stop the flow again. Hahahahahaha

I wish you much successful hunting!! And look forward to you sharing your hunting adventures with us!

Just to add to the stealth tip. Unlike deer hunting you need to call coyotes to you. So if there is a bluff dont try to get where you can see into it, then they can see you. Make them come up a feeder draw or other cover into your shooting lane.

Coyotes will look downwind, and smell upwind. So they have almost everything around them covered. The way you enter a stand is just as important as what you do when you get there. You won't call many coyotes if you get busted before you start calling.

Back