New Trapper

Hey, I am looking forward to starting my first trap line next trapping season. I am interested in learning all that I can first. I have been predator calling for years but I know that this trapping this is different. In AZ I have to use cage traps. Any advice?

Last edited:
Good for you for getting into it..

I would also suggest looking into what kinds of tools that you can get to make you faster and more efficient after the catch.

Spending less time per hide makes the profits better on the per skin basis. Even if you are just getting into it there are things that would be a good investment over the long haul, even if you give up trapping. I haven't seen to much of that.. Most trappers are just not as active, but still do it until they can't.

One such thing is a good template for the stretchers and then making up a bunch. I like to use a 2x4 to make mine, but i have a planer and band saw, so it's easy, and cheap.
A used washing machine to wash and spin the pelts. Or, just an old fashion roller to squeeze out the moisture. great pelt brushes, and If you have an ATV a Wench. But, i saw one that a guy did that was quickly removable, and then he had a mount on the floor for it in his shop with a pully. He ran the cable over the pully and had vice grips to hold the hide at floor, and then put them on a smaller gamble and the wench pulled the body up, as it went up, the skinning mostly stayed right infront of him. This made pulling hides off easier and faster. Another thing that i want to add to my setup is a vice grip mounted to the work bench or tailgate to clamp down on the tail. The idea is that it holds the coyote/bobcat on the tail and holds it so that the belly out and the base of the tail against the edge of the work surface. This makes it fast and easy to do the initial cuts like someone is helping you.
I know after skinning 3, i start to get tired especially after hunting all day.

Hey, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I am anxious to get started and looking forward to the upcoming trapping season. Your input will prove very helpful. THANKS!

really shop around, prices will vary and shipping costs can really add up. Mustang live traps of Texas were pretty good equipment. Also, there's a maker in Belle Fourche, SD. I don't have the name but I'm sure you can google them.
Schmitt Enterprises as an excellent selection of dvds and books. He does carry box traps, but I have never study them much. Good luck, oh and tie a feather in the trap

Back