Savage a17 first impressions.

zr600

I just picked up a savage a17 last week and finally got to the range today. I didnt have the cci a17 ammo but had the cci 17g hollowpoint varmint that is suppose to be 2550 fps. I didnt have any problems with it ejecting or loading a new round. I shot up 1 50 round box. Only got to shoot at 25 yards accuratly because the wind was blowing really hard i was impressed with the groups at 25 yards. At 100 it was almost drifting off the paper but was good on elvation. I am very happy with it for now. Ill report with more groups later when i can get out in some more calm weathor. I also have a box of a17 on they way.

Thanks for taking the time to post about the A17 I've been interested in getting one but was waiting for some more feedback. Let us know how it does when you get the chance to shoot at 100

I bought one, restocked it w/a boyd SS Evo shot a few chucks with it n lost intrest. great lil rifle to 150 yds but really doesnt have enough pop for me. 22-250 bout the bottom fer me. I will keep her for a dedicated squirrel gun here in Pa. got a 10-22 at the back door for the birdfeeder assasins so it gets little use.

Everything I've read about them is they shoot pretty darn well but the trigger was terrible. Yes, no???

I put mine thru some serious paces out in Oregon with 2 days of sage rat shooting. It was deadly and reliable. The only issue I have is that the mags wore out after roughly 500 rounds thru each. They just quit feeding the first few rounds well, so after they quit working well I'd load 5 rounds each and they worked like that for quite a while and got me thru the shoot. BTW I had 5 mags and they all quit working right, 1 by 1. Savage replaced only the one that came with it, and I bought a few more and they work fine again so far, though I haven't shot it much since the trip.

All in all I wouldn't give mine up, just wish they would have designed longer lasting mags.

FWIW Alexander Arms makes a 17hmr upper that shoots really well, and it is by their own admission a mag eater also. But they make their mags available for 8 bucks each.

I didnt think the trigger was to bad. I have a timney in my axis 22-250 i dont think its quit that noce but its nothing to complain about for a factory trigger i dont think. I have it set as low as it will go and it scaled at 3-3.5 lbs.

The CCI A17 ammo shoots 100 fps faster but has the same 17grain Hornady Vmax bullet. It's all 17 HMR ammo, just the A17 stuff shoots faster.

CCI/Speer and Savage Arms are both owned by the same company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23The CCI A17 ammo shoots 100 fps faster but has the same 17grain Hornady Vmax bullet. It's all 17 HMR ammo, just the A17 stuff shoots faster.

CCI/Speer and Savage Arms are both owned by the same company.

Is the speed the only difference? So it should run out of a regular HMR?

***Nevermind...re-read your post and got my answer. Not quite awake yet hah.

Shelton

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my A17!! Even in this New Mexico wind I hit clay pigeons at 200 yds. regularly. I dressed mine with a Bushnell Banner dusk and dawn 3-9x40 scope. What did you put on yours?

Back