Scope for moonlight in the snow

canineshooter

Already gearing up for calling in the moonlight this winter. I have been using a Nikon Monarch 6.5-16x44 for years. To me the scope has very bright glass in these conditions, I just wish I could go down to 3 or 4 power so I am looking to upgrade scopes. Looking at a Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 standard duplex or Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 IHR or MOAR retical, not sure if either of these reticals will show up in these conditions. Don't tell me to go 50mm objective. I don't like big scopes on a sporter weight rifle. I looked through a friends Trijicon 3-9x40. I liked the illuminated reticle but the glass didn't look as bright as my Nikon to my eyes. Any opinions welcome.

Well guys I have spent way more time reading scope reviews this last week than I should. I decided it was going to have an illuminated reticle. I looked at about every brand out there and decided to order a Leupold VXR 3-9x40 with the LVR reticle. It will be mounted on a 22-250 Win model 70 sporter. Most of the coyotes are called in. Even in the daytime I very seldom shoot past 300 yards. I almost went with the 4-12 but I thought maybe the 3 on the 3x9 would give me a little advantage in the moonlight. I have a VX-3 CDS on another rifle. It works well but for a rifle I'm dragging in and out of the pickup I did not want to worry about the CDS knob turning. My 14 or 16 power scopes are usually set no more than 6 or 8 power when calling.

Last edited:
Good choice. Hard to go wrong with leupold. Interesting reticle option also. I know at night depth perception is really gone when looking thru my d760. So once you know your drop for your aim points it could become more useful. With a 22-250 and most of your shots under 300, you should be able to hold fur and shoot and not miss!

With 40mm objective on my Leupold and Nikons,I have been able to shoot as late as 11pm around the Dec and Jan full moon. Our baits are set west and northwest of stand locations. I have a burris tactical with 50mm it did not seem to any brighter 2 hours after sunset.

i have used a 8x56 kahles for years and shot many coyotes in the dark without artifical lights.the bad thing it was 350.00 in a PX in germany might be a little more now

Back