Baiting

Thanks weekender. You and the missis still dropping the hammer on those hogs? Kind of slow here right now. I'm surrounded by corn that is 10 ft. tall, so not much chance to see anything except right in the yard here. Calling opportunities are also hampered with the crops being so tall now. Even the late beans are getting hard to see over, and lots of the timber roads are overgrown now. Most of the hunting clubs haven't started their seasonal mowing yet so it is pretty tough going at this time.

We haven't hunted much. We switched clubs/leases to get with people we like and feel safe with. It has been a lot of work to get acclimated to the new land. I have been working out of state so don't leave much time. We will get back after them soon I hope. We aren't seeing as many but the size has been impressive on the new lease.
from the new piece

Wife had a coyote 15 yds couple weeks ago but came in on her right side, she tried to swing her bow but got busted.

Last edited:
Last night I stayed at my hobo-shack cabin mainly for some rest and relaxation, but I unexpectedly ended up with a coyote this morning.

The alarm sounded around 7:35 AM and got me out of my bunk. A female coyote was at the 60 yard bait site. My truck was parked beside the cabin,
which is unusual. Generally I park it over near the barn and walk the 300 yards or so to the cabin. The coyote looked toward the cabin and no doubt
saw the truck, but didn't seem alarmed by it.

This is an example of a daytime view through the home-made outfit. I didn't have to use an illuminator naturally.

Here is a video of the kill shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6TldFpnmL4&feature=youtu.be

The coyote was a female and appeared relatively young. I shot it with my CZ 527, .17 Remington using
a Hornady 25 gr. HP. The distance was 60 yards. I couldn't find the bullet entry and there was no exit.

This coyote has been visiting on and off for a couple of weeks now. He was a pretty large mature male. As you can see in the following video he took a quick dirt nap. On this one I was shooting a 204 loaded with a 35 gr. Berger at about 3,900 fps. Scope is the Photon 4.6XT using a doubler and the shot was 100 yds. IR is provided from two lights mounted at the back of my shop.

This is the shot from the trail cam perspective.

Here is the small entry hole from the 204 shown by that small blood spot. The shot was angling and so it took out all the vitals resulting in the DRT.

You can see there was no exit with the 35 Berger in the following picture.

Great stuff DoubleUp. That 204 really hammers 'em. I love the DRT shots.

The two lights provided quite a bit of light for the Photon, and you didn't get the white-out effect either which made a nice video.

Took this one last night around 10 on the bait pile at 100 yds. using a 204 shooting a 35 Berger at 3,900 fps. He was heart shot, and as you can see went about 20 feet before expiring. I was using a Photon 4.6XT. This Photon is set up with a Doubler and is used for the bait site only.

Man DoubleUp, you are a coyote's worst nightmare. LOL.

Great video. The lighting at your site is perfectly suited for the Photon to render good videos.

Nice job.

Thanks 6, did you ever hear anything from blusam? He was whacking and stacking up your way a couple of years ago. Wonder if he is okay? Not many people posting here in the baiting thread anymore. Too bad since there is so much good information here. Haven't heard from ol' Cougar Jim in a long time. I don't know if his wife ever got better or not.

Last edited:

No, I haven't heard from Bluesam nor Cougar Jim. Bluesam has his share of black coyotes down his way and we were supposed to get together once he had one "tied up" for me, but I haven't heard anymore from him. I hope he and Jim are doing OK.

As to baiting posts, I have a feeling that baiting has taken a downturn for a lot of people. I know that mine has since I first began. You are doing better than anyone I know, really racking them up.

It is a lot of work to keep a site going, and not nearly as simple as some might think. You know all the work that goes into it as you have the best setup that I have seen. You just don't seem to have as many coyotes in your area as it once held. But every year is a new opportunity, and while I have a lot of land that I can call, I still enjoy keeping the bait site going as I'm sure you do. I just wish you had more land available for calling purposes.

I used to really enjoy calling and did so often. I didn't call many coyotes, but got one often enough to give me encouragement to keep at it. I actually called more bobcats than coyotes. After the company-owned land was locked up, it really put a damper on my hunting. There are endless miles of mountains here and nothing to hurt, but they wanted money, so it was hunting by lease only. The game commission managed to secure some of the land as Public Access Land, but the restrictions placed on hunting it is so great that I don't much care to go there anymore.

As a result, I began to turn to baiting as a means of staying the in game. It has been productive, but as you say, it's not as easy as most think and not as easy as I thought it would be when I first began. I have learned a lot over the course of the last few seasons, and I do have my shooting cabin and bait site down to a fine art at the moment. It took a lot of trial and error to get there. The only thing lacking is a good supply of coyotes.

Hello guys, been a while since I've posted, just getting the bait site set up again, was busy with bear season, (no luck)moved a blind to another location hopefully it will pay off.

Dannyk, sure wish you had some of the bear we have here. They have become a nuisance for us, and we've had too many encounters with them while calling. Here is a short clip of one I caught on camera in my deer streak.

Looks like 6 and double up have been busy. I haven't been able to log in since the 1st of August. I would request new passwords and it would say I was logged in until I clicked on a forum, then it would say not logged in. Not sure what changed but today the temp password let me post. Congrats on the fur you guys a have taken. I have not been able to hunt for a while due to long range work assignments. Glad to be back, hope to contribute soon.

Well I just read every reply for the first 25 pages, thats 375 messages with lots of information! Can't imagine reading over 200 pages.

I'm going to start baiting soon with a little bit of store bought beef chunks, I'll take it more seriously after firearm season is over for deer and I can repurpose my trail camera. Glad to see this thread still going, keep it up!

Just think of all the good info you'll get in the next 200 pages.
smile.gif

Look forward to your input and we like pictures!

I don't really have a lot of time to keep a consistent bait going or a pressured bait set up to kill coyotes over, but I'm very confident that I'll get some pics of them at least.

Back