Jo's first badger and a coyote

dustinyotes

I got home from work last night and my wife and kids all had plans and were going to leave me home alone. We have been having some very cool weather the last couple days and so I thought this would be a great evening to take Jo (my dog) and see if we could fine a coyote.

When we got to the spot we would be hunting the temperature was only 66 degrees and I was hoping that there would be some coyotes out and about. I set up over a small canyon and played a few howls on the Foxpro. After about 10 minutes or so I spotted a coyote on the other side of the canyon and it was watching Jo as she was sniffing around in the bottom of the canyon. After a minute or so the coyote walked over a small rise and out of sight. I switched the sound on the Foxpro to pup distress and the coyote came running back up the other side of the canyon and crossed the bottom within 20 yards of Jo but the brush was so thick that they didn't see each other. The coyote came right to me but when I saw Jo next she was running the coyote track backwards the way the coyote came from. I toned Jo and she started back to me but the coyote caught my sent and took off the other way up the canyon. Jo came flying past me and pretty soon I heard the barking from both Jo and the coyote when she caught up to it. I toned Jo again and turned the pup distress back on and Jo came right to me but the coyote ran by about 20 yards in front of me. I shot but missed as the coyote ran by and at the shot Jo tore off after the coyote, after about 200 hundred yards the coyote turned and followed Jo back up the bottom of the canyon and then I got a good shot and dropped the coyote this time.

On our way back to the truck I heard something in the sage brush and when I first saw it through the brush I thought it was a porcupine, the next time it moved Jo took off after it and I called her off. As we got a bit closer it began to growl at us and I realized it was a badger and I let Jo go and the fun began. After several minutes of Jo and the badger tearing up the brush I shot the badger and Jo went to shaking it to be sure it was dead.

When we got back to the truck I got some water for Jo and all of the sudden she took off around the front of the truck, I walked around the truck to see what she was after and it was a cow moose. I called her off but the moose didn't like Jo very much and started to follow her back to me. I stepped away from the truck and yelled a few times and the moose headed the other way.

Here is Jo begging to chase the moose, I'm sure that would not have ended well.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: shelton573That is awesome! Good work! I love that last picture where she just cant understand why she can't go pick a fight.

Shelton

It was funny, she wanted to chase that thing so bad and just didn't understand why I wouldn't let her.

Thanks for all of the kind words.

Back