Calling on the ridges

jimbo25

I just started hunting an area of national forest that has very little open fields. What sounds are best for an area like this. Mostly hardwood ridges. Cottontail distress just dosnt seem appropriate. It's not cottontail habitat.

You will have to experiment with sounds to figure out which ones that you have confidence in.
I use rabbit distress sounds a lot. I also like Titmouse Tantrum and Platinum Grey Fox is almost always on my play list. I have confidence in these sounds, so I use them.
It does not matter that you don't have cottontails in your area, predators will respond to a distress sound either out of hunger or curiosity. The first coyote I ever killed came in to Lightning Jack, there is not a jackrabbit within 500+ miles of here that I know of.

I'd start out with vole squeaks or something of that nature, but i'd bet your going to have success with coyote vocalizations. In my area i've found they will travel far to vocalizations but generally only respond to prey-distress if I initially set-up in a very close proximity to them (very short response time.)

Back