New to Coyote Hunting

ZT3006

I am new to coyote hunting and new to the forum. I have started coyote hunting for the past two months now and I cannot seem to call in a coyote in NC. I started out with just some hand calls and then bought a electronic caller not too long ago because I have not experienced any succes. However at night I have howled by the road near some of the fields I hunt and have gotten numerous responses from different coyotes. Does this mean I need to howl more? Or does this mean I need to hunt at night because it's too hot for them during the day? Any tips would help. Thanks

Welcome to P.M. You are getting responses that's a good thing, are you watching the wind, is the area you are calling hunted by others , how long are you staying at each stand, How often do you hunt the same spot? Temps could be a factor. Keep at it , try early morning and use different sounds not just bunnies.

the first thing you need as a new hunter in the east is Patience, i haven't had a vocal response in 2 months. not as many coyotes in wv as people think, therefore they travel a lot. if I find coyotes in a certain spot today, they won't be back to that area for about 30 days. if they are not close they probably won't respond. so much territory another coyote is not a threat. only use coyote vocals when you are actually hunting, not locating. you will probably make 15 or 20 sets for each coyote seen or killed if you do everything right. so stay after them, & be patient.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I never really to wind into consideration. I won't be able to get to the woods this weekend but will try next weekend again. Thanks

Back