Anyone shooting a Remington 700 VTR?

I have one in 22-250 that I got from Cabelas. It does not have the muzzle brake. It shoots pretty good. Did just have 2 mis-fires with it this weekend while calling coyotes. Cost me the coyote and the tournament. Not sure it was the rifle or the ammo. Before that weekend I really liked it!

I have had one in 308 for several years now and have put a lot of rounds through it. It is a keeper!
P.S. I really think that the complaints about excessive noise from the brake is much ado about nothing. People may perceive more noise but it has been proven in numerous demonstrations that the actual decibel level when measured at the muzzle is the same whether there is a brake installed or not. Additionally with the VTR it is not a brake per se, just several large ports on the top of the barrel at the muzzle.

I had one in .204 and shot the barrel out once, set it back, and shot it out again.

Nearly 4000 rounds. I cleaned it well and often (100 rounds)

It was a great shooter, a good friend and took a lot of coyotes, cats and pdogs.

The friend I sold it to said if it would shoot 2" groups that was better than he needed, and he still has it.

I have one in 204. Bought it used. Previous owner had cut the brake off. Shoots ok. Mines bedded in a hs precision stock with aftermarket trigger (that's how I got it).

As far as value goes I would rank it around savage. For me tikka is a nicer rifle.

Last edited:
I have one in .223. I put about 100 rounds of various ammo through it to figure out what it likes and Hornady superformance 53gr is the best. I nailed a fox at 166 yards right in the vitals and another at 100 yards. I've read that the best way to get consistency at the range with this rifle is from hand loading which I'll be doing before next season. Many posts I've read say that replacing the stock and bedding the action will increase accuracy.

It's definately loud. I took two consecutive shots while hunting a few weeks ago and thought I might have permanent hearing damage. I'm not sure if it's as loud as a carbine AR but I wouldn't let that sway you. I would rather have the version without the muzzle brake/port.

I like the weight and size of the rifle. It carries real well over some of the harsh terrain I travel. I spent $750 after a rebate. If I change the stock and have trigger replaced I'll probably have as much as if I bought a $1K Ruger or Winchester. I suppose like most things you get what you pay for.

Have one in 223 and replaced the stock with a B&C medalist. It was shooting 3/4" groups with my reloads prior to changing stocks and shrunk the groups to about 1/2" or better. I don't really think the break is that big of an issue. I have had the gun since they first came out.

Had one in 22-250 when they first came out. It shot under and inch at 200 out of the box but wouldn't pull the trigger til I put on a set of muffs. A buddy, who doesn't shoot much, shot it once and said his ears still rang the next day. Gladly got rid of that loud sum beach.

I too have been looking at these and handled one in 223 at Dunhams. I thought it would be heavier than what it was. I liked the Hogue stock and just dig that triangle barrel.

Update: I wrapped some cloth snow camo around the muzzle brake and went out this weekend. I took one shot and it was much quieter.

My VTR in 22-250...it is also the model without a muzzle break. Did you know they drop right into a varmint Remington stock and fit like a glove or at least this one did.

Here is one of my best groups with factory Remington Accutip 55gr bullets (5 shot group). First shot in the red followed by 4 touching. I produced a similar group with 53gr superformance factory rounds. Winchester, Fiocchi, and other Hornady bullets were nowhere near this consistent.

IMAG0307_zpsfnp18tds.jpg

I've been wanting a .223 for early season close (300yds or closer) coyotes, when I handled one of these in .308 I was really impressed with how it handled and felt in my hands. I'd like to get one now that I've done my research, was going to go with a savage 10 predator, but they no longer make the one I want and is $150 more than their previous model.

I have a VTR in .223. Its the only 223 I've ever shot so I don't know if the ports make it louder or not. It is as loud as my 30-06 and I don't like shooting it without ear plugs. If I'm hunting it doesn't bother me.

I could not get my x-mark trigger to adjust below 5 lbs, so I replaced it with a Timney. I really enjoy shooting it. I am not the most accurate shot and I wouldn't say this rifle is either but I have seen pictures of targets much better than I have shot. I haven't done anything to the stock, and plan to start reloading for it. Hopefully I will see improvement.

I saw one on this forum with a can on it. I would love to do that with mine.

Back