how many of you guys hunt coyote

ny hunter

how many of you guys hunt coyote in october? i'm thinking of putting the bucks & birds on hold this year and concentrate on getting my first coyote.i'd like to know if any of you new yorkers hunt them that early.
i still don't understand the rimfire/centerfire laws yet.if someone could explain it i would appreciate it.

I think that most of us here hunt by October [per the local regulations that don't restrict the season] I typically can't wait until then and usually try and get out at least once before then, regret it, and then wait some more.

I love it since it's the time of year that is just stupid simple. The pups are out running around and wow will they come running in totally ignorant that hunters are out there.

I would ask that why would you have to hang up the birds and bucks to hunt predators?

There are lots of hours in the day, and as long as it's legal, why not do all..

There are times of the day that are good for each kind.
When i Elk hunt, i have a Shotgun next to me incase a coyote shows up. I always bring the coyote gear. You just never know. If i am bird hunting, and see some coyotes mousing or just moving, i will grab the call and do a stand or two, then go back to birds. Sometimes hunt predators in the morning, shoot birds during the day, while looking for the trails and tracks of deer, and then set up looking for deer, and take any predators that show up too.

i have to check,but don't think we can carry a firearm during the bow season.wouldn't calling spook the deer out of the area? i mostly hunt from a treestand.the run & gun bird hunt would work.
i've been hunting 30+ years and have never seen a yote.i know there around because i hear them and get pics on my trailcams.i plan on putting as much time in this year as i can,i'm not into the nite hunting to many cons.

Originally Posted By: ny hunterhow many of you guys hunt coyote in october? i'm thinking of putting the bucks & birds on hold this year and concentrate on getting my first coyote.i'd like to know if any of you new yorkers hunt them that early.
i still don't understand the rimfire/centerfire laws yet.if someone could explain it i would appreciate it.
I dont hunt deer or birds but I sure do hunt coyotes in October. In 2012 I got one on opening night,one of my proudest kills! Last year got my first one Oct.17th. I usually go in the morning but have never seen one on opening morning. Maybe this year.

For me, it is never to early to hunt them... I don't hunt them much in October and November cause I am hunting deer... I shoot them any chance I get while hunting deer...I hunt them year around, but I slow way down in the summer heat... My reasons for shooting them are not limited to sport...

•You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season

•You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted

i'm hunting in the adirondacks where centerfires are legal to hunt with,does this mean i can use a centerfire during an open deer season?? also is a shotgun considered a centerfire? i'm a little confused

The way New York writes it up it does make it confusing. The way I take it is you can only hunt them with a rim fire during bow and muzzle loading season then go to center fire once rifle opens up for deer.

The way I see it is you may not have a centerfire rifle afield in areas that are shotgun only, during any open deer season,except you may have afield a centerfire in a caliber smaller than .22. Best answer is to check with your local DEC officer.

You can hunt predators with a center fire handgun during bow season in a shotgun county. You cannot carry any firearm while bowhunting big game. HOWEVER, you cannot carry a pistol or firearm of any kind while bowhunting.

Last edited:
I actually called a DEC officer yesterday morning to ask someone that question. In a shotgun only county, you CANNOT use .22-250. When I asked why because the diameter is the same size, .22, I was told it was because of the necked down cartridge. However, .204 Ruger is acceptable. That is what I am going with this season. Just to be safe.

thats how i interpret the law.shotgun or bow county rimfire,rifle[me] county centerfire.i didn't think you could carry a firearm while bow hunting.still waiting for a reply to my email.

Its a lot easier than the state makes it out to be. They write it ambiguous so that people get confused, and break the law.

1. No rifle counties - rim fire (.22lr, .22 mag, anything .17) Center fire .17 hornet/fireball or .204 Ruger.

2. You are not permitted to carry any back-up weapon during bow season, including a handgun, even if you are permitted to do so.

3. Out east, where you are, shoot a bobcat, get the pelt sealed. I have to get an expansion permit for my WMU.

4. Check season dates. Fox opens later, and closes earlier.

Originally Posted By: 1BigOxThey write it ambiguous so that people get confused, and break the law.

No. It is not ambiguous nor designed to get people confused to break the law. It has to be written that way to allow the maximum flexibility in the different areas of the state. It would be much easier to simply say "rimfire only statewide during any deer season" - I don't think many people would prefer that. Anyone who finds it confusing can simply call their local ECO to get a quick explanation.

When the DEC recently allowed the smaller centerfire rifles, they determined that "smaller than .22 rimfire" meant that .223, 22-250, .22 Hornet were NOT smaller, but .204 Ruger, .17 Fireball, etc. were. There was some debate about what way to determine "smaller" - was it power, length, true bullet size, etc? Years ago there was only .22 lr, .22 short, .22 mag and maybe a few oddballs like 5mm rimfire and .17 Mach IV cenerfire. With the popularity of the many newer small caliber centerfire rifles ideal for furbearer hunting there was an opportunity for reinterpretation of the existing law. New night hunting options including high power LED flashlights, night vision, etc. also increased longer range shot opportunities. As a result, DEC agreed that it would be beneficial to predator hunters and their law enforcement did not believe it would lead to increased poaching. In the end it was a change that was LESS RESTRICTIVE, something that does not happen much anymore.

The basics:

1. In counties or parts of counties that prohibit deer hunting with rifles (white areas), and only during archery, regular or muzzleloading deer seasons in those areas, you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted. Once all deer seasons are closed, you may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge.

3. In the orange areas you may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge during any open furbearer season, day or night.

4. No rifles afield in Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk Counties - ever. Call a local ECO for the Buffalo, Rochester and Albany black and blue areas because there may be local regulations about rifles.

legalimp2015.jpg

Good luck hunting this year.

Back