RPG and Grendels

GLShooter

I wanted to put out that Ritch will soon have the genuine SAAMI speced Black Hole 6.5 Grendel barrels available.

Offerings initially will be 18" and 20" Mid and rifle length gas with standard profile threaded or target crown. Others will be added as Black Hole ramps up. Bolts will be available fitted to the barrel.

Pricing will be the same as the 264LBC and the bolt should be right on $70.00 but that price is not firm yet.

Ritch has the first one off the lathe lined up for me so the parts gathering starts today.

Greg

Ritch has shot his and was happy. He is building mine next week as soon as I send him a gas block.

Internet reports say they are getting a lot of smiles.

Greg

Greg do you think they will shoot better than the LBC's? I guess I'm asking if there is an actual advantage or if it's just perceived as one?

Originally Posted By: 204 ARGreg do you think they will shoot better than the LBC's? I guess I'm asking if there is an actual advantage or if it's just perceived as one?

That's a tough one. By looking at the specs the G. should win. When it gets to actual range use it may come down to a coin toss between barrels. We know that variation in accuracy can occur with as identical manufacturing as we can do with two barrels made back to back.

I'll be shooting mine in tandem so it will be as much same same as I can make it.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 204 ARGreg do you think they will shoot better than the LBC's? I guess I'm asking if there is an actual advantage or if it's just perceived as one?

That's a tough one. By looking at the specs the G. should win. When it gets to actual range use it may come down to a coin toss between barrels. We know that variation in accuracy can occur with as identical manufacturing as we can do with two barrels made back to back.

I'll be shooting mine in tandem so it will be as much same same as I can make it.

Greg

Hi Greg. I just stumbled on this and it piqued my curiosity. What about the specs on the G barrels should make them shoot better than the LBCs?

Originally Posted By: KlrDrvrOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 204 ARGreg do you think they will shoot better than the LBC's? I guess I'm asking if there is an actual advantage or if it's just perceived as one?

Greg

Hi Greg. I just stumbled on this and it piqued my curiosity. What about the specs on the G barrels should make them shoot better than the LBCs?

Less free bore will probably be a major factor in the G. doing better. I'm undecided on the compound throat being that big an advantage. Also while the LBC has a tighter neck that will help brass life somewhat many would argue that it makes no difference. My opinion is it helps accuracy.

One thing that I also believe as being part salmon I have the opinion that the 7.62 bolt face is superior to the deeper Grendel. Less material above the bolt face would seem stronger to me plus you get 0.010 more case support with the deeper LBC chamber. I think case support is very important on these.

Now to plan devils advocate on the last statement it is also my opinion that with the new steels like 9310 in the bolts that breakage has gone way down. Also the prices of the good stuff has tumbled.

The Grendel that should be in my hands next week is pure SAAMI. I have eight uppers that use the 7.62 bolt for my LBC and variants. Luckily I'll only have one torn down at a time so confusion will not happen. I'll give my reports as I shoot but for now I am really looking forward to using this one.

Greg

Originally Posted By: KlrDrvrSounds good. I'll be keeping an eye out. Thanks.

BTW. How much less freebore does the G have?

Ritch will have to answer tfat one. I haven't been sent a reamer print but 0.040 sticks out for some reason.

Greg

Ooo man. My lbc is about that much too deep. I wish BHW had done that with the .264s. I'm still a skeptic wrt the G bolt depth, neck diameter and throat design. A tighter lbc would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: KlrDrvrOoo man. My lbc is about that much too deep. I wish BHW had done that with the .264s. I'm still a skeptic wrt the G bolt depth, neck diameter and throat design. A tighter lbc would be perfect.

The LBC has more for sure but the compound throat is part of the difference and looking at groups in the 0.1's and 0.2's I wouldn't say the LBC was too shabby.

It might be worth pulling it back a bit but you know there are some guys that deal with BHW that are always working to make it better. I know Verizon hates them.. LOL

Greg

Back